Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Sometimes Secret

Background: we have been working like crazy on Son#3’s name, his printing it to be exact. It is not a hard name to write, but we want to make sure we get it down just so, since his teacher is a pain in my neck.

Today they had elections in their classroom. He gets in my car at pick up and says very matter of factly, “George Bush won in my class today 17-10", like his kindergarten was predicting the outcome of the election. I asked if they talked about who they voted for and he said, “NO! MOM! It is a secret ballot. You don’t talk about who you vote for. Our teacher told us. After I voted all these kids in my class who don’t listen kept saying, “J., J., J., who did you vote for?” but I said nothing. It is my secret.” I laughed and was happy his teacher has really impressed upon them the importance of it being THEIR vote.

Flash forward a couple hours, I’m now wondering how this ‘voting’ took place as none of them read. So I asked.

Son#3, “Well Mom, we walked into this room and we had a sheet of paper and they told us the top was Bush and it begins with the letter B and Kerry was the bottom and begins with the letter K and we needed to cross out the guy we DIDN’T want. So I crossed out Kerry and then I put it in the box.”

I was impressed. I said, “Wow. That’s pretty cool. So even your teachers don’t know who you voted for.”

He replied, “Oh. I put my name at the top of my ballot.”

So much for secret ballots...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, Bou! Aren't kids great? They are so clever.

Angela

1:29 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

I took #2 Son with me. I ended up having to hold him while I voted to keep him quiet. Amazing how those touch screens work for ANY fingers. ;-)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

And I bet he wrote his name "just fine". ;)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

VW- I bet his toes would have worked too.

Angela... kids are the reason. They give me so much hope.

Tammi- He did. I just posted on his teacher and what she can do to a certain part of my body...

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about his printing. Mine looks the same as it did when I was his age. And my cursive is much, much worse, so I don't use it anymore.

Toluca Nole

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home