Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Why Boudicca's Voice

I think it’s important that you know who Boudicca is to start. A good link is HERE, another is HERE or HERE. To break it down to it’s basics, she was a Celtic heroine and warrior… a force to contend with in 60AD, Queen of the Iceni, a widow and mother seriously wronged by the Romans where she then exacted a bloody ruthless revenge by amassing an army of over 100,000, sacking and burning Roman towns… killing all… sparing none. She ultimately lost, but rather than be taken prisoner, she and her daughters committed suicide.

There is a statue of Boudicca, also spelled Boadicea, in Westminster. While visiting there recently, Jack of Random Fate, took this picture for me, which I thought was enormously cool. (Thank you, Jack!)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

A picture with more info is also at this link.

There are three things you need to understand for this story to make sense:

First, I am married to a man of Italian heritage. 100% Italian heritage to be exact. A very good looking Italian man, I should add! His grandparents came to America, right off the boat.

Second, I have a type A very aggressive personality. In my ‘younger’ years, it was by far worse, but basically, I am not one with whom you mess. I can have a short fuse and a razor sharp tongue. I also have an overdeveloped sense of justice and will fight nearly to the death for a cause I think is worthy or if I feel a family member has been wronged. I had more than one manager at my place of work tell me, “You must pick your battles more carefully”, as for awhile, everything was a battle for me. They were right, however, and I do. (Age, maturity, and energy sucked away by 3 children will do amazing things to your will to perpetually fight.) That said, woe be to the person who now finds themselves upon the opposing side of the battle I have picked as I will expend all energy to defeat who I perceive to be 'the enemy'.

Third, and last, The Great Omnipotent One is very much into history and he spends an enormous amount of time on our family’s genealogy. On my father’s side of the family, I am 100% of Celtic extraction. He decided to publish the trove of information he had gathered on our family’s history and in so doing, thought to include some Celtic history in the front of the book. In this opening section, he speaks of Boudicca.

Well, he published his book and reserved a copy for each of us three kids, as well as his grandchildren. He inscribed them all. So upon having my book in his hand, he decided to inscribe it, “To my Daughter, D., Boudicca Reincarnate", but before he put pen to paper, he realized that I was married to an Italian (think Roman) and thought that perhaps some relative of my husband’s would read this inscription and become afraid that I would slit my husband’s throat in his sleep… exacting some sort of old Celtic retribution for wrongs committed nearly 2000 years ago.

This certainly made me laugh on many fronts, but mainly the thought that ANYONE in my husband’s family would have a damn clue who Boudicca was. He was giving them WAAAAAAY too much credit. I still laugh.

So he had to think of what to inscribe. In my book, it now says, “To my Daughter, D, My Beautiful Celtic Princess.” I still get choked up whenever I think about it. I love my Dad.

That’s the story. From there, every e-mail address I have owned has either had the name Boudicca in it or has had a bastardized version of the name… as for some reason Boudicca is usually taken by someone on my ISP or e-mail provider. Hence, if you look at my e-mail link on this site, it is boudicah at hotmail dot com.

Who would have thought it was such a popular name? Well, I will tell you, that I get no less than 3 hits a day for people searching for information on Boudicca. I expect that to increase as I have heard Mel Gibson or someone, is making a film of her story. I hope they don’t turn her into a wimp sissy girl or some stark raving bitch.

Now you know how Boudicca came about… and you also know why I say “Boudicca Draws Her Sword In Anger” when I am posting to someone or about something that has seriously seriously pissed me off.