Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Samhain

There are eight days during the year that our Celtic ancestors celebrated. Of course these include the equinoxes and the solstices, but there were four others as well, which have for the most part have been adapted to Christian holidays by the Catholic church. That's how Christianity spread among us Pagans. They had to adopt our customs to get into our societies. Tonight is All Hallow's eve, the eve of All Saint's Day. It corresponds, naturally, to the Celtic celebration of Samhain (pronounced saw-wain). Here's the real scoop on Samhain:

Samhain, October 31:Death, the third of the Harvest holidays, the ending of the cycle, death, but with the hope of rebirth and the New Year.The traditional time for the annual slaughter to ensure food throughout the winter months. Take this time to remember departed ones. In some traditions the end of the year . The separation between this physical world and the spiritworld is thin. Halloween customs are a part of this element of death, the thin line at this cycle and remembering the dead and the hopes of rebirth. On this night Magick is more powerful .
So happy Samhain.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not go as pagan as I sometimes do, but did introduce Mr. Cousin to Loreena McKinnet and Heather Alexander. Do wish I could have had a fire though...

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you interested in the Celts' central European ancestors and the different languages? Like Cornish and Breton for example.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Really, my ancestors were Celts from Scotland and Ireland, and that's where the bulk of our interests are centered. If I had the time, I have often thought it would be fun to learn Gaelic, but I would have nobody to speak with, unless of course I dragged my Father into learning it with me.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home