Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

I've Been to Hell and Survived

This story was sparked by Pam. I had e-mailed her and something came up about Miami. She gets credit/blame for sparking this story!

In March/April there was a big Karate tournament in Miami in which I somehow got roped into participating, but Sons 1 and 2 were the real reasons for the trek. (I don’t spar. I only compete in kata/forms if I compete at all.) I don’t like Miami. It is crowded and hot and there is nothing there that appeals to me, although my husband’s best friend lives down there, so it is a drive we do make occasionally.

This particular tournament was located at some Junior College I had never been to and I believe it was in Kendall. The drive was hellish. I don’t know the roads down there and the directions MapQuest provided were woefully inadequate at best. I found myself going from interstate to parkway to other interstate roads and I was completely freaking out. The traffic was dense, everyone was driving quickly, I stayed in the right lane because I had no clue where I was going and it was white knuckle driving. My stomach was a mess. I was cursing a lot under my breath when finally in a freaked out state I yell, ““That’s right folks! When you die, if you go to hell, you end up in Frickin’ Miami!!!” Sons 1 and 2 said nothing.

That Sunday night, at family dinner with my bro in law and his wife, I heard them say. "Hey, Uncle, did you know that if you die and go to hell that you end up in Miami?” I had many evil glares at me that night.

What. It could happen. I mean if you believe in the whole heaven and hell thing, hell has to be somewhere. It might as well be Miami. It’s sure as hell hot enough.

5 Comments:

Blogger Contagion said...

The wife and I feel the same way about driving through Chicago. I like being in Chicago. I just don't want to drive there.

9:13 PM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

Try LA or Dallas....eegads!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Miami or Dallas. 2 worst cities to drive in or get lost in. Hate.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

Oh Boston is one of the worst to get lost in. Their damn maps don't match their streets!

I've driven through both Dallas and Houston. White knuckle driving. Big cities are just scary.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Worst places for me are Chicago and NYC (specifically Manhattan). 'Cept, I must admit that NYC is where I learned how to drive quite defensively - gun in one hand, bird raised on the other.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home