Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

National Pinko Radio

We were coming back from dinner when my Better Half starts telling me about a guy he does business with out of California. Some how NPR, the Radio Station, or National Pinko Radio as The Great Omnipotent One calls it, came up. Better Half says something to the effect of it being liberal and the business acquaintance, the Californian, looks at him quizzically and says, “Really? You think so? Well… I guess it depends on your political leanings.” BH looked at me and said, “Can you believe it? He didn't think it was liberal.”

So then he puts on his best NPR singsong voice, the voice he hears on all the voice overs every morning during his morning commute since he is forced to listen to that instead of the tripe on the other rock stations since our rock station was taken over in the mornings by Howard Stern. I’m hoping this is as funny when you read it as it was when he said it. Ok, in your head, singsong NPR voice:

“This is Habbibe, a 16 year old boy living in the streets of war torn Iraq”
“Habbibe says his life is not better since America came.”
“He doesn’t understand why we are there and that his life is not better, it is worse.”
Habbibe is heard speaking in the background in his native tongue.
“We have yet to understand why our country has spent over 7 billion dollars on this war, their confusion of Afghanistan, Iraq and Al Queda”
“Habbibe has lost 6 relatives to this war and his Mother has been raped 66 times.”
“And he says, America is to blame for this.”

I cracked up. It was so funny. The gross exaggeration they all give us on the news, expecting we will swallow it all. And I think BH may have a voice for radio.

5 Comments:

Blogger littlejoe said...

See...I have a FACE for radio.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

My favorite NPR quote:

"We don't have an agenda".

And I've heard them having entire shows talking about the media, and they keep bragging about the "fact" that NPR has guests from ALL OVER the political spectrum, "from the far left to the far right".

BULLS***!

Whenever I tune it (pretty much randomly), it's some lefty choir member.

Makes me sick.

So why do I listen to it? Because even though it's annoying, at least it's not as boring as what's happening on every other station. Some of the worst talk radio I've ever heard. Mixed with traffic & weather every 10 minutes, and commercials every 5.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

That's what my husband says.

He says he likes when he just gets the news. It's the filler bs that pisses him off and he could do without, which is what he was immitating.

I was telling my Dad (TGOO) this morning, why is there not an FM equivalent of NPR for the right side? Or hell, just the frickin' middle? Makes me nuts.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see...my Iraqi buddies went back to be translators for our military -- quite a risk for them. I don't see NPR doing stories on these proud people.


Toluca Nole

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure National Palestinian Radio is unbiased: they cover the spectrum from the far left to the extreme left!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home