Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, July 30, 2004

I Majored in the Sciences, Dammit!

For some reason, any person who knows what I did in my previous life, before kids, thinks that I would be a great treasurer for their organization because I’m ‘good with numbers’. Sure, I once had the fundamental theorem of calculus attached to the top of my graduation cap so my parents could easily identify me amongst the throngs of graduates, and I can balance a checkbook, but that does not mean I qualify as a frickin’ Treasurer! I am not a CPA or a Banker!

Damn. These people. And you know what is worse? I frickin’ said YES!!! I am now the Treasurer for a small woman’s group, fortunately only carrying a balance of a few hundred dollars and using a manual ledger and get this… I’m the Treasurer for the damn School! And here’s the real frickin’ kicker. I was TOP on their list of who to ask. What in the hell were they thinking? I didn’t want to just flat out say no since my kids go there and I’m all about helping out with the school, so I said to the nominating committee, “Well, I’m a Prod, don’t you think you should find a Catholic?” Great peals of laughter, “Hell no, we don’t care about that stuff.” Evidently we are not in Ireland. I guess they figured since the resident Prod had been running the Catholic spaghetti dinner for the last 3 years, it’s no biggy. Then I tried this approach. I walked into the principal’s office and said, “Mr. H., you need to know that whatever needs to be done for this school, I will help with. That does include being Treasurer. However, that said, if someone tells you they want this job, you should give it to them.” I was met with a grin and a “Mrs. xxxxx, I assure you that nobody is going to ask for this job. It is yours.” Damn.

I receive a call yesterday from the Treasurer I am replacing. She is talking about banks and signature cards, and just stuff and I am listening thinking to myself, “This sucks because once someone finds out I’ve been Treasurer for the school, they’re going to think I can be for their organization too” and then she says “Peachtree”. Wha? She repeats, “Do you know what Peachtree is?” and I think, “Finally, an answer I know”. Just as I was about to say, “Yes! It’s a major street in downtown Atlanta… everything is named after it!” she says, “You know, Peachtree the software program”. Wha? I would have felt so damn dumb. Thank God she beat me to it. I simply said, “I’ve never worked with it, I’m sure it can’t be that hard.” I can muddle through just about anything. I hope. For some reason they think if you know math, you know business.

Please allow me to be very clear to all non scientific types…. I never took one business class in school. Nada. Zippo. El Zilcharoonee. I took Analysis of Variance. I took Micrco Computers. I took Partial Differential Equations (the second class after Ordinary Partial Differential Equations that engineers take). I did NOT take Econ. I did NOT take one Accounting class. I did NOT even take one Marketing class. I know NOTHING of them… but for some stupid reason, someone finds out you frickin’ majored in Mathematics and you are suddenly fit to be their damn Treasurer. HUMPF!

8 Comments:

Blogger Contagion said...

It's all over now. Next thing you know you will be the treasurer for every local group that needs one.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

There are a couple things that will make you a good treasurer:

The ability to do addition and subtraction in your head quickly and accurately.

The ability to recognize at a glance that a figure in a column of numbers (usually the sum) is wrong when it's off by several orders of magnitude.

As a teller, I can honestly declare that these traits are not at all common.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

Bite your tongue, Sally! LOL!

I guess I'll see what this Peachtree thing is. I need to see data, as you said, Harvey, in columns. I look for trends. It's what I do. I don't see that those will be inherently obvious with a software program, but I will know when they give me my copy and I get it set up. I'm a datageek. The one thing for sure is: There will be no funny numbering or embezzlement under my two years. I add quickly and notice abnormalities.

9:30 AM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

Watch out, the Catholic School gestapo (is that how you spell it?) will be hunting you down if you don't make nice with the numbers.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I know what you mean Bou. For some reason people think I'm a numbers person because I love analysis. I look at numbers in a spreadsheet, looking for trends. I'll load up a spread sheet and just page thru - look at patterns no the numbers themselves. I love charts and graphs but haven't balanced my check book in 12 years. I refuse to. I have a number in my head - it ought to match what the bank has (don't pass out Harvey, it usually works!)

Sorry 'bout your luck girl. You certainly have my sympathy.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depending on how well the books have been kept, Boudicca, it may well require Difficult Equations to solve!

John of Argghhh!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Sally - as it happens, *I* am the Alliance Treasury Secretary.

Seriously. Check my left sidebar right above my COTBG logo.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Whew, thank God that post is taken, Harvey! :)

Funny, down here, the Catholic church is way way too forgiving for people who have stolen from them. It makes me nuts. There will be no stealing on my shift, damn sure. That whole, "Forgive and forget" stuff... not on my shift.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home