Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Different Types of "Sinks"

I was over at Helen's at Every Day Stranger today and she has this hilarious post called "Tinkle Tinkle Little Star". She's becoming the Bathroom Anthropologist. Oh My Lord. It cracked me up. And of course... it reminded me of a story.

When Son#1 was fully potty trained, around age 3, I was the only one who took him into public restrooms. My husband deemed men's restrooms too dirty and that women's would be cleaner. I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion, but I figured he must be right, with the exception of filling station and fast food restrooms. Son#1 became a pee in public restroom phobe if HE deemed the restroom too dark or too dirty. The little boy doing the pee pee dance, swearing he had to go, would suddenly be able to hold it like a camel for hours upon hours. I knew there was no forcing the issue as soon as I heard the little voice say, "It sure is dark in here. I think it's creepy. It sure is dirty in here... (big pause) I don't have to go anymore."

Son#2 was born and we had finally ventured out for lunch, the four of us. Son#2 was only a few months old and Son#1 was probably 3 and a few months. He decided he had to use the restroom, so I sent him with his father. Off they went. He had NEVER been in a men's restroom.

He walked in and my spouse got the, "It sure is dark in here. I think it's creepy..." Somehow he convinced our little man he would be fine and took him in a stall. (Reflecting upon this I believe this too falls into Daddy is a hero category.) As they came out and were washing hands, a man had come in and was using the urinal. In his loudest 3 year old voice, Son#1 declared, "Daddy! Why is that man peeing in that sink?"

My husband comes back to the table rather embarrassed. I'm laughing. I said, "Did the guy laugh?" He replied, "NO!" I said, "Did he say anything at all? I mean, come on, it's a 3 year old, how funny is this?" and he replied, "Not funny. No, he did not say anything."

Well, after reading Helen's post, I guess I understand more now. Son#1 must have breached some sort of urinal etiquette. Too bad the guy peeing in the sink didn't fart.

3 Comments:

Blogger That 1 Guy said...

LOL! Hell, if that were me peeing in the sink, I would have pissed all over myself laughing! Some people have no sense of humor!

Only etiquette I know of is you don't just walk in and start chatting away with your neighbor ... too weird. You release the equipment, and then focus your attention on one of the tiles located at eye level. No shifting of the eyes is allowed! Finish business, shake, stow gear, wash, leave. Simple.

If a friend is in the restroom, it is acceptable to talk, but only if you keep your attention focused on same tile. Accidental eye contact is allowed if a joke is made, but any dropping of a gaze will certainly lead to a brutal beating!

1:26 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Oh geeze... having grown up with 2 sisters I never knew all this information. Now raising two boys and see that life is going to certainly stay humorous with bathroom humor.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

T1G's right. Conversation in the Men's room is the "that dress makes you look fat" of male etiquette breaches.

See also:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0126975/2004/01/29.html#a1546

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home