Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Proof That It Pays Off???

I have a saying, “How you treat you body now will be reflected in 10 years.” I firmly believe that barring genetics, and in some cases that can be managed, if you treat your body well, 10 years from now you will see it. If you abuse your body, in 10 years you will see it.

My folks are in their early 60s. Knock on wood, they are in great health. (Damn, I’m hesitant to put this in writing for fear of jinxing anything.) My parents look damn good and I won’t even put the horrible ‘for their age’ at the end of it. I hate it when people say, “Wow. You look great for having had 3 kids.” Really? Would I be considered looking like crap if I hadn’t had any?

They have always eaten well, moderation, and exercised. They have just always treated their bodies right. I know you’re wondering where I’m going with this, but both of them just had full physicals within the last year, the kind that people dread where doctors use God made portals for borescoping, and both checked out great. (The first time The Great Omnipotent One went in for a scope during the procedure he said to the doctor, “I thought I asked for a Bud Lite, not a Butt Light!”) Sure there is some blood pressure medication and a touch of arthritis, but overall, that’s about it. So far, genetics have been on our side.

Ten years ago TGOO was a runner. My Mom has always walked. They’ve always eaten high fiber diets and they’ve never been ‘fat’. Sure they’ve been through spells where they’ve wanted to lose 10 lbs, but it’s never gotten out of control. There has always been plenty of fresh fruit in the house and we switched to whole wheat bread and skim milk when I was a kid.

My Mom looks better than I do. I’m serious. She is trim and fit. And TGOO is the same. You see them together and they look like a fit couple. They’ve been taking care of themselves for years and I’m hoping we continue to see the dividends for their vigilance. I’m hoping it’s rubbed off on me and I can do the same. It sucks to watch your parents age; I’ve watched it happen to my husband’s parents. So far, to date, I feel like I’ve been spared that. I feel certain I can thank my folk’s for their hardwork. (Knock on Wood!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home