Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Random Fate Brings Up a Valid Point

Jack over at Random Fate had THIS the other day. I know I often say, “If you don’t vote, you aren’t allowed to bitch.” I firmly believe that. Even if you put in a protest vote, you should be there. It is your right and one that is taken too lightly here. Sure, I’m not pleased with either candidate. Hell, I’ve NEVER been pleased with either candidate, but I have never missed an election. And I have come to believe that The Great Omnipotent One is correct that all voting is important but what is REALLY important is who you elect to the Senate and House. THEY are your direct link to the shenanigans up in DC. Given that as a fact, then some things Jack states come directly into play. Being in this country, an American citizen, maybe there are more things than just voting that should give you the entitlement to bitch. As Jack says:

Before you write a rant or a complaint on your weblog, I suggest you ask yourself these questions:
Have I voted in every election in which I was eligible to vote?

Have I written my Senator, my Representative, and my President on issues that are important to me?

Have I educated myself on the issues facing the nation as a whole, the issues that affect my region, and issues that are important to me?

Have I taken action to make a positive change on issues that are important to me, not just complained about those (insert pejorative description here) on the (right or left) who don't agree with me but seem to be getting their way even though they're wrong?

He is right, whether you want to hear it or not. If what TGOO says is true, that in fact our direct representatives are the most important election, then we need to be contacting them. A LOT! We can’t sit by idly and let them vote how they want to vote. We frickin’ put them there, dammit! They should vote how we want them to vote and as voters, they need to know how we feel. We need to know how they vote on important issues and that means we need to stay EDUCATED on the issues facing the nation. We need to ensure that in the event a complete Moron ends up in the Big Seat, that we have the right representation to keep him/her in line. And if the jerkweed representative isn’t doing their job, isn’t holding OUR best interests up in DC, then he/she needs to be looking for a new job.

Go take a look at Jack’s post. I think he has made some valid points. It’s easy to point fingers at the other party. It’s harder to take action and try to truly fight back.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I can definately say Yes to three out of the four, and "sort of" to the education one.

I try to keep up with the basics of what's going on in the world around me, but I'm not a freak about digging into every little detail of every issue, like, say, Graumagus does.

I've voted every time the vote was about something I gave a crap about one way or the other (for example there was a vote here a while back that basically only effected homeowners. I didn't participate).
What sucks though is this year it appears for both president and state representantive I'll be voting against somebody I don't want in office, rather than for somebody I do. If you know what I mean.

I have, in fact, written to various senators and reps.

Which I consider to be "taking action," at least in my way.

So, yeah, personally I think I have the right to bitch now and then ;)

S

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home