Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, March 04, 2005

One More Week

I’ve been in charge of seating for a Fashion Show Benefit to be held tomorrow (Saturday). What a pain in my neck. The show benefits veterans and children. I’ve been entrenched in it for coming up on eight years. I chaired it for 2 years, I’ve done seating for nearly 8, and I’ve had to model a few times. Now before any of you who don’t know me get any ideas of what I look like, I’m not some tall skinny model type. I just happen to be younger than everyone else by about 20-40 years. They see young they think, “model” and it doesn’t matter that my body is now gross, overstretched and flat out icky… because it looks better than theirs.

This happens to be an election year for our State organization so anyone who is running for office is coming to this Benefit, to be seen, to garner votes. We’re upwards of 200 women coming as of now. Well… as in any organization, not everyone gets along with everyone else. Over the years, bridges have been burned, things said that should not have been, and feelings have been hurt. Unfortunately, because I’m so involved, and because I spend a lot of time observing, I am fully aware of who gets along with who. It’s one of the reasons they like having me in the job. I don’t talk about it… nobody knows who likes who… except me.

Now, it is probably irrelevant, and I should probably just sit anyone where ever I want, screw them all, but I can’t do that. It’s just not right. When I invite someone into my home, I want everyone to be comfortable. (It is my chapter hosting this.) Yes, I do expect everyone will have their manners and they would… trust me, there would be NO catfights, but why in the world make someone feel uncomfortable if you don’t have to.

So for 3 days, I’ve been cutting and pasting, dropping and dragging, and as people have been calling in and canceling due to the flu, I’ve been rearranging tables to maximize space in the room as the place we’re having it completely screwed us over and we’re pressed for space. Meanwhile… I have the whole issue of someone has to have the tables that just aren’t quite as desirable as others and since *I’M* the one doing the seating, *I’M* the one that will have to deal with their crap. As I do every year.

I’m pretty much over it and if anyone complains, I’m shoving the seating chart in their faces and saying, “Oh! It is so nice that you volunteered to do this next year. Give me your e-mail address so I can send you the files.”

And I still have 1 more week until the big cocktail party that I’ve been putting together. One more week… and the big stuff is over. I cannot frickin’ wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

"....and it doesn’t matter that my body is now gross, overstretched and flat out icky… because it looks better than theirs."

As _Jon said "WTF?!?!"

Girlfriend, sistah - don't make me come down there and kick your ass! I know we've talked about this - but damn lady! That's about as far off base as I've ever read! ;-)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

Y'all weren't there when I was trying on clothes and I tried on this one dress that was a very clingy material and it showed ever flaw in my abs, all cellulite, every lump and every bump. I said, "I don't think this dress is very forgiving" and she said, AS SHE reached over and ran her hand over my stomach, "OH. Nope, this is NOT a good dress for you." And we moved on and found a dress with a thicker material and that was not so clingy.

Blech.

And as I was leaving, they were saying, "Wait, are there any other YOUNG models like you?" Heh. I'm going to be frickin' 40 in September. Just all the other models are in their 80s or 90s, so I was looking like good meat to them.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O wad some pow'r the giftie gie us, To see oursels as others see us! It wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion.
Bob Burns

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home