Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Thankfully I'm Not In Charge of the Electronic Voting in FL

We have two phone lines in this house, one business and one personal. My answering machine broke, so I had to buy another ASAP, as that bit of volunteer work I do for the American Cancer Society requires a few people to call me to RSVP for something...beginning tomorrow.

I bought a new machine and even though my husband was beat when he finally got home from work at 9PM, he set it up for me. He was frustrated, it’s a dark cramped corner where the machine is kept, it’s a pain in the neck to get to the phone cords and he just was not thinking clearly, so I sat down and got the message set and set the date and time. But I simply could not get it to answer a call.

Today is the day the rubber meets the road. Invitations are out and my answering machine is still not working. I sat down realizing I am going to devote an hour to this if I had to, to make this damn machine work. People start calling TOMORROW!

The key is, we want both lines functional, we have a two line phone, with a splitter, but we only want the machine to pick up on our personal line.

I’m playing with the cords, figuring he must’ve gotten the cords miswired (which is surprising since he’s a big electronics kinda guy), going over the feeds and the schematic they gave me with the example of a 1 line phone into this machine. Ten minutes go by as I’m switching things around, and I take a deep breath, look down and see a button on the machine that says, “On/Off”. Hmm. I hit “On” and it works.

It’s amazing how things work right when you actually TURN THEM ON!!! GRR!!

Anyway. Life is good.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've learned this the HARD WAY. Those darn electronics . . .so demanding of us.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

My first thought was "is it turned on?" LOL

I do that all the time. That's the only reason it's my first thought. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can relate to what your talking about. LOL

BeeBee

7:07 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

God, you figured out how to use a computer and have a blog, but you haven't figured out how that you need to turn on an answering machine in order for it to work. Sigh... What is the world coming to? (Ducking from thrown objects and fists)

7:42 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

LOL. The woman who can cook up a mean meal, raise 3 kids, worked in a fortune 50 company, helps with the school and ACS... forgets to check the on/off switch. Ahhh... makes me feel so much better to know that when I try to put the milk in the cabinet instead of the fridge, there are others out there doing stupid things too. GRIN...

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ogre said...

Well, at least it was plugged in... :)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of times I've said, "Of course I've turned the damn thing on, I'm not an idiot...Oh...."

Alex is always saying I shouldn't be allowed around anything more complex than a toaster. Actually, when we first moved in, he had this typical bloke-type toaster that had so many bells and whistles that I couldn't even work that.

Sally

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home