Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Optimists Need Not Apply

When the bad goes down, I don’t want to be next to an optimist. I want to be next to a prepared realist. A prepared pessimist will do very well too, thank.you.very.much. Optimists kind of piss me off. They’re good when the birds are chirping and life is great, but when the tough gets tough, they can bug off.

I may give the impression in this blog that I’m an optimist. Those who know me well will tell you I am anything BUT that. I prefer to say I’m a realist, but many have called me pessimist. I’m OK with that. I stay prepared. I prefer to find the funny in things as they happen or after the fact, but in preparation, I prepare for the absolute worst case scenario, while hoping and praying fervently for the best.

What is prompting me to write this? I was in the school yesterday assisting in our clean up/salvage effort. All the kids had been told to take home their personal belongings and books, so I figured most of the effort would be in taking care off teaching supplies. Most had been wrapped up so most was safe. We got to the religion room and opened the lockers and there were all the kid’s Bibles. They are given Bibles in 6th grade and they keep them through 8th. It was fun looking at them as the kids cover them and decorate them anyway they want. However, as we saw all these books, a teacher’s assistant said to me, “These books should have gone home with them with the rest of their books and supplies.” And she was right. They should have.

What was the religion teacher thinking? I know what she was thinking. She was thinking, “Oh it won’t hit here. We’re safe. These are just silly precautions.”

Heh. I’ve checked her off my list of people I want to be next to when the everything starts going to hell in a handbasket.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of you may remember a Vietnam POW, Adm Stockdale. He summed it up well: "An optimist is a hazard to navigation."
TGOO

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is an iceberg.

Toluca Nole

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ergo, said the philosopher, an optimist is an iceberg.

TGOO

8:15 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. ALWAYS my motto. Better safe than sorry. Amen.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever hear of a self fulfilling prophecy? What you believe will happen....happens. Optimists will be prepared for the worst but they recognize a rainbow when it appears. The pessimist sees it and says; "The sky is falling"

Iceberg

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I see a rainbow, I think of the prism effect raindrops have on sunlight. :)

5:28 PM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

IMDO, optimists always hope for the best... hell, they see it. Pessimists expect the worst, and know that it's going to happen. Realists (me) hope for the best, and realize that the chances of it happening are damn close to zip. However, if good fortune were ever to rear it's beautiful head, a realist will accept and acknowledge. What was the post about???? :)

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home