Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

We Are Blessed

The complete lack of ability to communicate outside this home didn’t start to rattle me until today when Bellsouth said no phone until the 24th at least. By then, I just kept myself busy. Cleaning the house, going through piles of papers I’ve been meaning to get to, going to the yard and cleaning more debris. The more I kept busy, the less I seemed to notice that I was stuck in my head with nobody to talk to. Cell phones as well as land phones are out, no end in sight. E-mail and internet, the first to go, and I felt certain the the last to come back on.

Yet I still felt fortunate. We had power. We had ½ tank of gas per vehicle. I had non perishable food in my pantry and if I got desperate, I knew I could go in town to my husband’s office and call if I had to. Other than calling my parents, I had no need.

Protein other than nuts and fish and TV dinners are unobtainable. I have become spoiled in this modern society, buying my meat fresh every two days. I never keep meat in my freezer and fresh vegetables are a given living in S. Florida. By today we had fresh vegetables again, but still no dairy or meat. And I feel fortunate because there are people in this county that have nothing. I mean nothing. They are scrounging for ice, begging for food, down to their last crackers. They are waiting in miles long lines for MREs at the fairgrounds. Food is coming in as fast as they can truck it, but it never seems fast enough. Necessities are off the shelf in a matter of hours.

I am quiet as I go through Publix, feeling guilt that I have power where I know there are people around me who have none. Cable too… go figure. I never lost cable. There are people going nuts because they don’t have cable whereas I would say, “Take my cable please if that means the people 5 miles away will have power.”

A real low… Monday night, I heard Publix was open. I was just looking for meat. I had ravioli in the freezer, but hamburger meat, while not a necessity, would be nice, so I ventured out to see. In the frozen section a man, evidently an alcoholic was in the throws of a massive breakdown that he could not buy beer. His wife, in her Walmart smock, stared in the freezer, saying nothing to continue to feed his rage. I quietly walked by, trying to act like I did not hear, trying to not notice the shame she was feeling as she was being verbally abused. ‘Can you Fucking believe it? It is a GD Monday and they won’t let me buy any GD beer? Who the fuck to they think they are?” and on and on went the tirade. Meanwhile behind him were cases and cases of ice cold beer, blue tape across them, and a sign informing that it was a Federal Offense to sell alcohol. And as I left, I prayed that he would keep his rage verbal and that he would not beat her.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to read you and know you're all OKay!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you and yours are OK after a second battering by Mother Nature.

Moving to France and the accompanying difficulties in communication, the differences in what is available in the stores here, the much shorter operating hours of almost all businesses, and the differences in how life is lived in general made me think about similar things as you talk about here. Many times we don't realize what a wonderful life we have until our nose is shoved in it like a puppy being housetrained.

-Jack (of Random Fate... I lost my Blogger info to sign in!!)

2:24 AM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

As you know, I am a recovering alcoholic myself. So keep that in mind when I ask this.

Why in the hell is it a federal offense to sell beer to people who may or may not have just had the worst experience in their lives?

If I lost everything, my wife, my home, my stuff...I may be tempted to drink up too. I have never heard that it was against the law to sell alcohol in a disaster zone.

Weird.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I understand. As I walked through my house, saw things were ok, checking and checking I was so happy. Then I sat down and cried. I couldn't believe I was this lucky twice.

I actually heard the cable companies saying that many are working hand in hand with the power companies to restore cable and internet. Internet has become a necessity. Seeing you post, I'm gonna agree. :-) It's very good to hear from you my friend.

6:01 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

I can only echo what you said: Thank GOD it was only a Cat 2! West Palm fared far worse than we did only 30 or 50 miles to the south! I know it was because of the eye making a direct hit, but such a difference!

That's such a sad story about the alchoholic. :(

7:58 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

I agree with the sentiment, but still... a Federal offense to sell beer? What's the theory on THAT one?

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I am happy happy happy that you are all doing so well. You were on my mind the entire time and am glad to know that you suffered little. I am sorry for the Publix experience....not much else to say there. Just thankful for the life we have and pray for those with less.
I hope you have a wonderful birthday today ( Wed.). Know that I love you muches and a gifty is on the way!!

PFB

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Welcome back, its so very nice to hear your Voice again! Glad to know that all are faring well (all things considered).

I'm very sorry for the wife that she had to endure that tirad in the middle of a Publix grocery store. I agree, and hope that the tirade ended at Publix and not at home.

But I'm also curious as to why it would be a federal offense to sell liquor. Hmmm, something to try and find out. {donning Sherlock Holmes cap} Lets see what I can find out!

Welcome back!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

I swear it's true (The Fed Offense to sell alcohol). Now maybe the signs are down now, but when I was there yesterday, there was still no sale of alcohol. Wine either.

I don't get it at all.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home