Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

If You're HM, Don't Hang with Me... Please

I’m over high maintenance Moms.

Last week I got a call from Son#3’s soccer coach’s wife. She was going on and on about how tough it is to have three kids. I don’t know this woman. Finally I told her I understood as I had three. She inhaled and said, “Really? Well, I have a kicker for you. I have THREE BOYS!” Wha?? I laughed and said, “Yup. I do too.” Weirdo. Like having three boys is a curse. I met her on the soccer field, got one look at her and realized that I really don’t want to know her, so I stayed away. I met a Mom who had been in the Navy as a mechanic so I spoke to her, played with her two year old, or read my book. I don’t have time for high maintenance Moms.

I’m at a birthday party today with Son#3. A set of twins he knows was there with their Dad. One of the Moms said to another, “Has anyone seen Linda?” (the twins's Stay At Home Mom) and someone said, “Oh yeah. Boy, she’s tired. Really beat.” I got concerned and said, “Oh no! Is she OK?” to which the reply was, “Well you know she is driving the girls to school every day. She’s tired from being in her car.” I did the calculations and realized that she’s probably in her car 1 ½ hours a day. Sorry no sympathy from me. Not holding back I looked at the other Moms and said, “You’re kidding me right? Last year I was in my car FOUR HOURS a day. She needs to suck it up and move on.” Nobody said anything.

Sometimes I have no patience.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always say "Suck it up and drive on", but those are the little differences. All I've got to say is: "Good on ya!" I have little patience with people who complain aobut how tough they've got it, when they have never even gone through a really tough situation. Kepp calling them on it, because we should never let these cheeseheads get away with that.

Johnny - Oh
Closet Extremist

11:39 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Johnny-Oh - you're the only non-Chicagoan I've ever heard use the word "cheesehead" as a perjorative term :-)

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bou - if you've never read the book "Cheaper By the Dozen" (yes the book not the movies of varying ages), you should see if you can find it at your library. There is this tremendously funny scene where another mother is complaining that she just doesn't have the time to help out at some function, because she has 3 boys. The mother of 12 says - I have 6 boys and 6 girls... Needless to say, the other mother ended up helping. *grin* Of course the entire book is just wonderful and lots of fun to read.

-- Teresa

4:05 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Harvey... Cheesehead is used in the pejorative a lot... you just gotta get out of Wisconsin! :)

Teresa... oh you have me starting a new post with that line of though. How I ended up Treasurer of our school. GRR!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home