Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Drawing My Sword in Anger

I’m going to pop off a couple rants here, so if you have issues with my ‘drawing my sword’ as Harvey puts it, you need to move on down a couple posts.  This is a big rant. Really big.

When my better half and I decided to become parents, we knew there would be changes.  Inconveniences, if you may.  No more spontaneous sex on a lazy weekend afternoon, no more going to the bathroom by myself… stadium seating installation being incorporated into the bathroom decorating scheme was seeming like a good option, going grocery shopping alone was a memory, spontaneous fine dining became a no-no.  None of this is big deal stuff and we were prepared for all of it, except maybe the inability to ever go to the bathroom without an audience. That one did kind of come as a shock.  The rest of it… you deal.  All these little insignificant things come with being a parent.

So here’s the deal.  Never, ever, ever should you ever ever ever think about, even for one frickin’ millisecond, leaving your baby or young child unattended in a car.  Never. Ever.  I don’t give a rat’s ass if you live in Adak and its August and its 12 Noon and a balmy 50 degrees, 73% humidity.  It is a big no no and an offense that we Floridians are way way over.  You don’t even leave your baby/young child unattended with the windows up, doors locked, A/C running, just to run in and grab a gallon of milk.  NO!  NEVER!  Bad things can happen.  Very bad.

Yes, I have gone to Publix only to find that one or all three of my children were asleep.  You have two options then.  You either pick them up and carry them while you grocery shop or you GO HOME and come back when everyone is awake.  That’s it. Those are your choices!  You do NOT leave your baby in the car. EVER! 

First, there are bad evil people in this world.  What you read in your daily rag tag of a newspaper is just the tip of the iceberg.  Just befriend a cop. He’ll tell you there are some nasty MF’s out there. Bad mean evil people who do horrible thing to children.  You leave your child unattended, you are just rolling the dice with fate as to what happens next.  Period.

Second, in the summer time, your child will die in your car.  Sure as shootin’, it’s gonna happen.  We just had another death last week in Boca. Some dumb ass dentist left his young 3 year old son while he ran into the office. I am sure he promptly got distracted and 3 hours later, his kid was baked to death.  That simple.  A columnist down here in our paper was so enraged at the number of deaths we had had in cars one year, children unattended, that he holed himself up in his car with a thermometer and a stopwatch and a cameraman and sat there… for about 20 minutes until his car got to something like 140 degrees inside and he couldn’t take it anymore.  Nice, eh? That’s what these lowlife non thinkers are doing to their kids.  Every GD summer I read about some low life mother who decided she wanted to go shopping, locks her baby in the car, windows rolled up and comes back to dead baby.  Or the parent goes to a party.  And on and on…

Listen, accidents happen.  I remember hearing about a guy who drove to work, forgetting his sleeping kid was in the car and came back to his car after work and the kid was dead.  Tragic.  His taking the kid to daycare was out of his routine.  Chances are he was suffering from sleep deprivation as we all do when we have young ‘uns.  And being a working parent, trust me, the guy had a lot on his mind.  Bad things happen and it is sad. But those are few and far between.  Thankfully, because it is truly tragic and I still ache for that father.

However, the other morons… well I am officially sick of it.  You never leave the baby/child even for a second. This is being sparked by another article I read today where a Good Samaritan found a baby in a car and called the police. 

Let it officially be known, I am not a Good Samaritan if I happen upon a case like this. I am the parent’s worst fucking nightmare.  I will call 911 to get the child out, if I don’t break through a window with a crow bar from my car first, and if the parent happens upon me while I am waiting for the proper authorties, I promise you, I will view them as a threat to this child, and I will firmly place a side thrust kick upon their knee at approximately 5psi and for the rest of their GD lives, their permanent hobble will remind them of the time they almost killed their kid and they will feel lucky that this stranger who saved their child, did not do more than destroy their knee.  I swear to you, the parents of these ‘unattended’ children, do not want it to be ME that finds their children in these cars.  ‘Nuff said.


6 Comments:

Blogger pamibe said...

Yep, I saw that story. I pretty much thought it was murder, if you want to know the truth. Like you said, this is Florida; you just can't leave ANYone or ANYthing in the car for a minute.

Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but how do you forget your child in the car, or walk into anyplace and get so busy that you forget your child?

I've called the cops on a mild day when there was a dog locked in a car -under a shade tree- so yeah, I'd break the window to get to a child, and not think twice.

Stupidity constantly amazes and annoys me.... Yeah, like I'm perfect. [sigh]

8:49 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

"Let it officially be known, I am not a Good Samaritan if I happen upon a case like this. I am the parent’s worst fucking nightmare." - you and me both Bou, you and me both.

This makes me crazy, has since even before I moved to Florida. Hell, even we Hoosiers knew it could take a bad turn, and that's sayin' something!!!

Yeah - in my mind, it's all about the babies and I'll take a lickin' for sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. I don't care. It's all about protecting those babies.

Rant Very Well Done!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

Sally- we have the same thing here... people not really keeping an eye on their kids. What is THAT about?

Pam- "Stupidity constantly amazes and annoys me." That pretty much sums it up. I can't hang with stupid people. They make me frickin' nuts. It's probably why I kinda like dogs more than people!

Tammi- I shoulda known you were a Hoosier! I told me husband a couple years ago when he started lecturing up in Indiana, "I have never met someone from Indiana I did not like." He said it still holds true, as many times as he's been up there!

10:29 AM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Well done, Bou! This is one of those topics that piss me off in a major league fashion. Only being an uncle, I still think about all the little things that could happen.

There are so many of these cases, I sometimes believe that Pam isn't just being overly suspicious. Accident or not, I think there should a serious, torturous punishment for this act of stupidity. Maybe people would think a little more if they knew that they may be stuffed into a large microwave.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

_Jon said ...

Nice rant.
Kinda like one of mine, but with less swearing. :)
And yeah, I'd call the cops and seriously debate breaking the window.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a brand new mom living in Hotlanta, I am horrified on a daily basis about the acts of cruelty imposed on so many innocent children. The other day a man shot his wife in front of his two daughters and told them to run away. He shot himself but at last check the s.o.b is still alive. Of course he managed to kill the mother with one shot. Dumbass coward.
I would never EVER leave my child for a nanosecond. Even when I KNOW for sure that the baby is home with his daddy, I look in the backseat of my car JUST IN CASE. Yea, I feel sorry for the most recent parent who killed his baby by leaving him in the car. He is going to have to live with that the rest of his life, but I am more angry at him than anything.
I thank God every day for giving me the priveledge to be a parent. How anyone could take that gift for granted is beyond me.

Rant away!!!!

PFB

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home