Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

You Might Be a Redneck If...

Tomorrow night I have a meeting with my neighborhood to discuss... water.  We are currently on well and septic and there is the opportunity for us to get hooked up to city water.  Now tell me, does it make me a redneck because I am voting no?  Is there some Jeff Foxworthy saying that I am unaware of that says, "You might be a redneck if you are fighting to stay on well water"?  Now if they were talking about septic vs. city sewer, I would say, "Please. Hook Me Up!  Yesterday!"  But my water... I'm just a little funny about that.
 
West Palm Beach water leaves a lot to be desired anyway. It tastes so bad I refuse to drink it in restaurants.  Go to the neighboring town of Palm Beach Gardens and the tap is acceptable... but West Palm... it just flat out sucks.  But that's not was is doing me in...
 
Paranoia will destroy ya...
 
I just don't want the government in charge of the safety of my water.  There ya have it.  I keep thinking, 'potential terrorist attacks going after drinking water' and the next thought is, "no thanks."  I have an awesome water system.  We spent a ton of money making sure our water was clean and pure, topping it off with an RVO system in the house. I'm perfectly fine with the water being pumped from 80 feet below my house... thank you very much.
 
So I am wondering how to play this card at tomorrow night's meeting without sounding like 1) a paranoid lunatic or 2) a redneck.  I am thinking of playing the 'West Palm water tastes terrible' card, but I know that I am going to be met with great resistance from the people who are not mechanically inclined and are afraid of their water systems.  This should be interesting. 

3 Comments:

Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Just make sure not to wear your aluminum hat and you'll be fine. ;)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

If you have time to do homework, find as many stories as you can on bad city water.

Milwuakee:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr03/131542.asp

and googling (without quotes) "cryptosporidium city water" might turn up useful stuff. You've got young children who are most at risk from contaminated city water, so you have a right to be concerned

If you take that tack, then tossing in the notion of "other things getting in the water, or being PUT there" doesn't seem as far out.

10:08 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Have we never heard of water filtration systems? Undersink ROs, whole house systems a la companies like Rain Soft...

I wouldn't trust that well water, either. But I'm kind of weird about my water... ;)

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home