Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

No Tin Foil Hat For Me!

OK, OK, upon the advice of Anathematized, my blog sister, I left my tin foil hat at home.  Heh.  The meeting was really about a feasibility study and could they bring potable water in, how it would be done, how much it would cost, and how long it would take.  They bring in an engineer with numbers, graphs, material usages described, and I’m really getting into it. They’re using 12 inch pipe to run it to the neighborhood, then 10” after the connection spots, and on and on.  I paid attention to where the lines were going, how they would be dug and didn’t take note one. I have it all stored away in my engineering type brain.  I love that stuff.  But then came the end and all I heard was yada yada money, yada yada yada, interest, yada yada yada bonds… went over my head and my eyes glazed over.   I hate that stuff. (Where’s a good blogfather when you need him, eh Harv?!)  I do my bills.  That’s the extent of the finances. I don’t do our investments, I don’t do our retirement plans; I just pay the bills and balance the checkbook.  I am now counting on the fact we have some pretty shrewd businessmen on our board who will look into our best interests in the finances… and chances are the first part of the meeting sounded like this to them:  yada yada yada 12 inch pipe yada yada yada dig down the middle of the road, yada yada yada, 5/8” meter or 1” meter…   Maybe I’m wrong.
 
The neighborhood is going to take this to a vote at a later date. I have some thinking to do.  Pam brought up a good point about a whole house filtration system, which we really already have due to our well situation; my only issue being that right now I don’t have to pay for my water and then filter it.  And Florida water in general, city water or well, is not good water.  We’re not talking cool Mountain water from a fresh spring.  We’re talking sea level water from a state made of limestone.  However, what I’m really thinking about is the fact that we don’t have fire hydrants. That never posed a problem in my head since I am surrounded by lakes and canals, until about 4 years ago when we were going through a drought and S. Fl was a tinderbox and our lakes and canals were at all time lows. In a little city an hour north of here called Port St. Lucie, they had some big fires in a neighborhood like mine… well and septic, no fire hydrants, and a lot of homes burned.  That may be my pivotal point in my decision making.
 
Meanwhile, my better half and I had lunch today as I had a sitter, and upon discussing this we realized we were totally on different pages.  Surprise.  He is all for city water, Gung Ho, and I’m not, tin foil hat and all.  Going in my favor is the fact I attend these meetings and he doesn’t, therefore ultimately it’s my vote and I hate to be rude, but I’m not considering him in the decision process.  :)  I know.  Not nice.  Women, you can’t live with ‘em and you just can’t shoot ‘em. 

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pah. You shouldn't have to do anything that you don't want to. You don't want their lousy water? Good for you! If you spent time and effort getting things how you want them then surely that is the whole point of owning a house - living how you want? Do you have to be connected up to it though?

Alex

5:57 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

I'd really want that fire hydrant, and not just because of dry spells... home insurance companies always want to know how close - or far your home is from a hydrant, right? They seem to have this complicated grading system and that's one of the main questions...

Undersink ROs run about 160. at Home Depot.... ;)

When I say I'm strange about water, you can believe me. I used to sell the whole house systems, and had to learn what kind of crap lurks in water... My dogs even drink clean water, and though people laugh at me about it, my 11 year old collie doesn't suffer from arthritis [from the calcium in the hard water] like other dogs her age.

My son-in-law was just diagnosed with an intestinal parasite from drinking tap water.

Yep, I'm weird about my water!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I have a full filtration system outdoors as well as an undersink RO right now. My water right now is very good.

I'm a freak about it because this is all I drink. I literally drink nothing else, no alcohol, no juice, no milk... only water. Could I make myself sound any more boring? Oh wait! I can! I don't even put lemon in my water. I drink it plain!

It is $7700 to bring it to my front yard and I have to pay that whether I hook up or not. It's another $500 to hook up. From a monetary basis, I have issues of paying that kind of money then not using the water. If the neighborhood passes it, we will hook up. My husband would insist and that is not something I would fight him on. (We don't have to come up with $7700, that's where the yada yada yada bonds, yada yada yada over 20 years thing, comes in.)

The key here is how I would vote and I really want those fire hydrants. Florida is the lightning capital of the US and my neighbors back yard took a direct hit yesterday. It is an inevitability that over the course of my life we WILL take a hit. It would just be nice to know there is water to put the fire out.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Errr, I'm confused. If you don't HAVE to pay the $7700 because of the bonds, etc, then why not just vote for the city water and not immediately get hooked up?

That way you have the fire hydrants in your area, you still get your well water, AND the option of hooking up the city water at any time for a nominal fee of $500. It might even increase the value of your home if you choose to sell at some point down the road.

I might be completely misunderstanding the situation since I just woke up 15 minutes ago and currently hate you and everything else on this planet.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Wow, you're less of a morning person that I! That's really really scary.

If the neighborhood votes it in, we all have to pay the cash... it's just over 20 years or something and is affixed to our tax bill. They said my property taxes increase by $500 a year or so, although I am banking that would be low.

So I'm having to pay for it every year in my tax bill, I should probably go ahead and hook up. Plus you are right. They are saying the value of my property could go up significantly.

A mess. This is the part I HATE about home ownership. Pain in the ass.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Florida is the lightning capital of the US and my neighbors back yard took a direct hit yesterday. It is an inevitability that over the course of my life we WILL take a hit."


Which is why I move so often... it can't find me if I outrun it. ;)

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Florida is the lightning capital of the US and my neighbors back yard took a direct hit yesterday. It is an inevitability that over the course of my life we WILL take a hit."


Which is why I move so often... it can't find me if I outrun it. ;)

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home