Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, June 21, 2004

Reality TV will never be MY Reality... I promise.

I don't do reality TV. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but it just doesn't interest me and I love reading, surfing the net, quilting, or anything else. I've never seen even one episode of American Idol. All references to these shows are completely lost on me.

What I do know about them, I know from the gym. When I'm running on the elliptical machine or rowing on the rowing machine, the TVs are on and while I'm listening to my angst riddled music, I either read any captions or play this ridiculous game of trying to read lips. I suck at reading lips, BTW. Then there are commericals. That's where I get most of my TV information as to what's on and what's up and coming. That's where I saw the commericial for "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?". (Blech. I can't believe I even linked to it in my damn Blog.) I thought this was the first year, but upon reading about in on the 'Net, I found out it is on it's 2nd pathetic season.

I'm sorry, but I find this to be exceedingly revolting. More so than all the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows. I don't know why, but I do.

So please, allow me to proclaim from the top of very loud Voice, in my very own BLOG, should something ever happen to my Mom, The Great Omnipotent One's partner in crime for the past 41 years, his soulmate, I hereby promise that neither my siblings nor I will EVER stoop so low as to go on reality TV to find him another partner or companion. I do solemnly swear. And Mom. Stay healthy and safe.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never be able to pick two winners like her in a row. I'd just become a hermit.
The Great Ominpotent One.

1:47 PM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

Yeah, I find the "Who want's to Marry ...." shows to be despicable. Marriage is not something to be entered into lightly. Unless you're from Hollyweird. It is SUPPOSED to be a lifelong commitment to your spouse. For fook's sake, you take VOWS...VOWS I say. Is the concept of a vow lost on modern man?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Little Joe, I think something you said hit on something with me. I think it was the VOW thing and taking it seriously as a life time commitment. I have always been surprised when these single people do these shows. I guess what is blowing me away is the WHOLE family being of that mindset. I know for a fact if I were single and rang up Mom or The Great Omnipotent One, and said, "I'm entering myself in this new Bachelorette series" two reactions would occur. First they would both say it was terrible mistake to even consider and ask me what the hell I was thinking. Mom would get more psychological on me trying to figure out what in the hell had happened to me to lead me down this path... in an attempt to avert it. TGOO would just flat out tell me it was a bad idea. The second thing that would happen is they would look at each other and say to each other simultaneously, "She got that from YOUR side of the family." Doing reality TV is just not something either of them would consider, alone, as a couple, or as a family.

I am afraid of such people where entire families are so damn dysfunctional or whacked out that they would take marriage so lightly and go for it together. Blech. These kids got together and said, "Hey,Dad! We got this great idea to find you a spouse" and he said, "Oh what fun!"?

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but don't be fooled by Boudicca...she was all to willing to throw the kid sister under the reality show bus and try to convince her to sign up for "Big Brother" after its first season!
-Morrigan

5:37 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Yeah, well, Morrigan, you're just pissed because you know damn well you would've been hysterical on a show like that. You and kid bro were the ones that were blessed with the comedic talent in the family. But notice your lovely older sister isn't pushing you to sign up for some Bachelorette show!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts are the exact same as Little Joe's. These shows do kind of reflect what is happening to our society, only to the extreme. Nothing is sacred anymore, and that about covers everything. BAH!

That 1 Guy

12:45 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

I'm kind of a reality show Junkie. I like them for their cruel treatment of the contestants. I don't watch all, I have my selected ones. Right now I'm watching the Joe Schmoe 2 Show on Spike. I like watching the american pubic (yes pubic) make fools of themselves on national television. The marrage ones are stupid, mainly for the fact that the relationships never last. As for the sanctity of marrage. We lost that back in the 70's. It's all up to the individual now. I mean take a serious look at entertainment industry. I swear they get married just to have an excuse to have a party. Hell I heard on the radio this morning that an online gamblin company is taking bets on how long the Jennifer Lopez/Mark Anthony marrage will last.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

I hate reality TV because, even in the depths of my blackened Monty-Burns-like greedy capitalist's soul, there's still something about the sight of naked avarice that I find repugnant.

Or maybe it's the "pay for degradation" aspect that's so revolting. At least when I pay a hooker it's only for something dirty, not for something disgusting.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Harvey, if not for the disgusting part... why watch TV at all? It's pretty intellectually void and has a tendancy to make me be embarassed to be part of the human race. When they take these fools and pit them against one each other and you watch them sell out their morals and ethics to get a prize, you know it was worth the time wasted. Plus occasionally you do find one person that will kind of restore your faith in humanity. well okay in the last five years I've only seen one. But he was doing it for the money and said as much.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone seen WB Superstar? It's the flipside to American Idol...as in trying to find the worst singer possible. And the great thing is, they string these saps along the entire way, making them think they are amazing and have some God-given talent. Hey...you thought you were that great...you deserve to be humiliated.


Toluca Nole

2:47 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

The marriage ones bother me a lot. I just don't think it should be taken lightly. Marriage is a commitment, not a Kodak moment. Yeah, they fail, bad things happen to good relationships, but you should at least go into it expecting that it WON'T fail and that you WILL work on it, not as a public spectacle to be watched and read about 24/7. Blech.

Haven't watched the show on WB. Sounds like the Anti-American Idol. Do these people not have any real friends to TELL them that they SUCK?!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Actually as a person that likes to sing, I can honestly say that my friends like to point out how horrible I am. I think the defining point was one memorial day weekend we went camping and they had a keriokie (sp?) contest. They where genuinely surprised that I didn't win the "Worst singer" award. Then again you just have not experienced Bette Midlars "Wind beneath my wings" Until you hear me do it in a Scottish Brogue.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home