Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Vultures or No Vultures... That is the Question

Are those big ass turkey vultures all over or is this a S. Florida thing? We get these big black vultures that are just scary looking as they hop around the carcass of which they are feeding. Let me tell you… there is nothing quite like coming home and finding 30-50 big black turkey vultures in your front yard as a possum, armadillo, or raccoon went feet up in your front yard over night. Your yard looks like something out of Halloween. Nothing quite screams “SOMETHING IS DEAD IN MY YARD” like a flock of vultures covering every square inch of grass, hanging out in your trees and leering from your roof.

Then you’re stuck. Do you shoe them all off, grab a shovel and scoop up the half eaten dead smelly bug and fly infested carcass only to then wonder where in the hell you’re going to put it? You sure as heck can’t throw it in the neighbor’s yard…although there are a few neighbors I’ve been tempted to do that to. And you can’t put it in your garbage can. Blech. Think 90 degrees, black garbage can with 3 days before garbage pick up. No.thank.you. Not only could I NOT do that to my garbage man, but I can’t frickin’ do that to ME! Ack. The permanent smell of decomposition…

OR do you just let the vultures do their job and deal with 2 days of your front lawn being covered in row upon row of big black hopping ugly nasty birds as well as 20 in your trees and another 20 lining the roof of your home?

I let the vultures do their thing. It’s a nature thing. Plus… I’m not sure where I’d put that nasty carcass… and there is of course… a vomit factor. I might puke having to shovel up a half eaten, rotten, swollen dead mammal body. Best let the vultures do their thing and let my house look like Halloween.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we have them up near us in Athens, Ga. Ugly things, aren't they?

8:50 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

LOL! I can so relate to this posting!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Oh yeah, I got 'em here! I just made a deal with them while the family was visiting. Once I met TNT I was afraid she and you would be carried off by accident!! ;-)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Don't have that problem up here. At least I haven't seen that problem. However we get great flocks of crows that fly all over and will infest a tree to the point you wonder if the branches are going to snap off from all the extra weight.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right Bou, leave 'em be to do their job. They're not nearly as ugly as the corpse they're cleaning up for you.

When I lived in Miami, we could tell when winter arrived as the migrating vultures returned to roost on the courthouse roof.
--George

1:00 PM  
Blogger Ogre said...

Or, if you just can't stand the carnage, put it in a plastic bag before tossing into the can.

12:41 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Turkey buzzards are thorough, but sometimes you just can't wait for them to finish. I mean, really can't wait. As for the vomit factor, trust me. NO ONE has a weaker stomach than I do.

I'm with Ogre on the means of disposal, but I'm going to add to it. An already-opened, heavy-duty, draw-string trash bag will work just fine, especially if you use a long-handled manure fork in ... uhh, the ceremony.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home