Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Big O

We went to my husband's bros house for dinner last night. He has a little girl whose name begins with an O. For some reason, I was the person of the day. I was all she wanted. From the time we arrived, the two year old was in my arms or leading me all over her house, "Come. Come", she would say.

We played play-doh. We played outside. I played in her big plastic Barbie house. We sang songs. She insisted on sitting in my lap while she ate dinner, which means she ate my dinner, since my food was better. It was just really funny how I was her big toy. In the middle of dinner, she even insisted I take her potty.

Hmmm.

You would think being a woman with the same body parts, this would be no big deal to me. It actually wasn't, as I was being led into the bathroom, "Come. Come." my sister in law is yelling after me, "Are you OK with this?" What am I going to say? I had three boys. I've done the potty training thing. How bad could it be?

Heh. With a boy, it's easy. You sit them down, point it down, and it's over. A girl... Blech. The problem was that I got her on the potty and as she insisted she had to watch herself pee. Well, with a boy, that's easy, they just look between their legs. With a girl, she contorts her spine, twists around, and... pees all over the seat!!! Then there is this whole wiping thing... Geez. What a pain. Boys are so easy.

OK, so now for the title of this post. In my family, when we all get together, we get a plastic cup and a sharpie, and The Great Omnipotent One puts everyone's name on their cup and that's what you use for the day. My youngest has a nickname. We call him 'Bones'. So a skull and crossbones are drawn with 'bones' written under it.

We get to my bro in law's house and there are cups and a sharpie. They've taken on this tradition from my parent's and my houses. It just makes life easier. I pick up the Sharpie and write, "the Big "T"' for Son#2, "The little 'g'" for Son#1 (named for his father), and I write Bones on the third cup with the traditional skull and crossbones.

I look at my bro in law who is carrying on about how proud he is of himself that he didn't teach his daughter to call me by the nickname he gave me "rat" (reference to Fast Times at Ridgemont High) and I said, "Good thing. I'd hate to start writing on her cup, "The Big O"'.

He didn't think it was funny. He best not tempt me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

I. So. Love. You. :-) The way your mind works....perfect! So glad you're my FRIEND!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Well, the way she kept saying "come, come", it probably would've been a good name :-)

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah to be the big play toy for a 2 year old. It's the Aunt's duty and it lasts for YEARS!

Morrigan

9:59 AM  
Blogger A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

Great story! Reminded me of my days as the father of 2 young girls-- the worst was when they achieved an age where I couldn't help-- but we'd be out in public. Awkward.

I remember being at the Museum of Natural History when my 5 year old had to go-- I couldn't go with her into the ladies' room, obviously, and I couldn't take her into the men's room. So I let her go into the ladies' room & stood guard--hoping that there wasn't a back entrance.

She could have used an aunt right then!AN so could I!

(PS--we mark the cups the same way-- and tend to get creative as well--moreso when the kids aren't around!

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Boys are so easy"

Truer words were never spoken.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home