Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Of Wine and Chocolate

I was making THIS dish from Carnival of the Recipes last night for dinner, it was superb, and it calls for red wine. Now I don’t drink wine, but all of my family and most of my friends do. The taste is completely lost on me… I evidently have an immature palette. Everyone tells me what a great wine something is, I have a glass and I taste bitter. However, I LOVE to cook with alcohol. I think it adds a wonderful flavor.

That said, most of my friends when cooking, whether with or without wine, will have a glass while doing so. I know my husband’s older sister has a glass every single night she cooks. For the longest time, I thought it was an Italian thing… glass of red wine while cooking, but I am realizing the more I speak to people that it is not, it is in fact very common. I personally think it is a good thing. Red wine is good for the heart and having a glass at the end of the day can really take the edge off things. It’s just unfortunate I think it tastes so God awful.

So I was thinking (I know, scary thing) and I saw that a glass of wine has about 110 calories. I think that is the equivalent of 4 or 5 Hershey’s kisses. I think that for now on, I’m going to eat a handful of Hershey’s kisses while I cook. It might take the edge off, I am hearing great things about chocolate and how it’s really not bad for you in moderation, but the key will just keeping it to 4 or 5…

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Well they do say that there is an ingredient in chocolate which gives you the same very good feeling you get just after you've had an ... oh, hang on, is this blog G rated? :)
Anyways, bound to take the edge off your day, frustration..umm.. anyway, I think I might leave it at that...

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thank god. I was beginning to think that I was the only person in the world who just couldn't get a taste for wine. Chocolate, now there's something I can agree with. The way it melts on your tongue. A rich, dark chocolate. Ummm...

10:38 PM  
Blogger Pammy said...

As bad as I'd love to I haven't been able to acquire a taste for wine, either....not for drinking OR cooking. I bought a bottle just the other day for a recipe I wanted to try. It was some kind of Siroz (I think) and it said it had a "chocolatey, fruity" flavor, among other things. I'm thinkin "Yum!", but I'm tastin "Blech!" I didn't use it in the recipe, either.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home