Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, November 29, 2004

My Reputation is Starting to Precede Me...

I was waiting to pick up Son#3 today from his afterschool art class. In my hand I held a music book for Son#1. There is a big Christmas concert that the band is having and I needed to make a copy of some music for him. I happened to see a Mom I knew, who was talking to a Mom I had only seen before, so I walked over. She asked me what I had in my hand. I told her I had to make copies for the Christmas concert and "You would not believe..." and before I could finish the sentence, the Mom said to me, "What in the hell did you get yourself into this time?" and the other Mom, this Mom I DID NOT KNOW, said, "D., what did they get you involved with this time? Even I hear the stories..." Not only did she know my name, but she 'had heard stories'? Yikes!

So I told them that the band director and I had been talking and I told him I still did pick up my flute and he asked me... to.participate.in.the.kid's.concert. He and I are doing some duet. I kid you not.

Now, allow me to make this clear, as I have said to him repeatedly, I am no longer a good flute player. I pick it up in June, usually the last two weeks, right before my family's 4th of July Ceilidh, in some great effort to be able to play a Scottish tune my father has picked out while he plays either the pipes (as in bag) or the fiddle. Then throughout the year, I may pick it up spontaneously and run through some scales or some old tune I still have sheet music for. That does NOT happen often.

However, now I am playing, I believe next week, for parents... with the band director. I see much shame ahead of me... shame and practicing. He picked out the tune for me to study and the first thing I said was, "Hmm. 3 flats. Didn't have anything with two or less, huh?" Thank God it wasn't 4.

Nice to know I have a reputation. And nice to know that I appear to be a source of entertainment for some of the parents...

5 Comments:

Blogger vw bug said...

Reputation: notoriety for some particular characteristic; "his reputation for promiscuity". Ok, so you are not promiscuous. But what Particular Characteristic do you have? GRIN.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could hear you play. Can't wait to hear about it.

BeeBee

3:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

Yeh, well, flute players were always my favs when I directed bands, cos most of them loved their instruments to the point that they slept with them instead of stuffed bears...

Ask for volunteers to set up the band for concerts? Count on the whole flute section, for starters. Organize and manage the music library? Choose from among eager flautist volunteers. I'm sure if I had asked for volunteers to climb inside the tubas with a toothebrush, I'd have at least gotten a volunteer from the flute section.

Trumpets? Too busy lifting weights (or pretending to). Trombones? Too busy practicing to become martini lifters or pizza delivery guys. Drummers? Too busy trying to figure out WHAT the beat was... French horn players? Nah. Too weird. Usually too busy playing chess with their third hand while staring at the flute players with their third eye... And don't get me started on the oboe player (yeh, usually had more who held the things and blew into them, but averaged about one actual player per band)... (It's safer that I not start withy oboes, cos I married an oboist :-)

But the flutes? Golly. Kids who actually wanted to play their instruments well.

And from the evidence, you're still a flute player at heart.

BTW, what piece are you playing for the concert?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I'm so proud! What fun that will be!!

And what a musical family we have. At the reunion we'll have to form a band. Like the Osmonds but twisted!! ;-)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Can you believe he said I have nice sound? He seemed surprised. Hell, I was surprised. I need to practice more...

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home