Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Am I the Only One Who Has Ever Done This?

I washed my car in the rain today. My husband has been out of town and when he travels like this, leaving on Thursday and coming back on Sunday night, Sunday is reserved for cleaning. From Thursday through Saturday, I do nothing around the house except the bare basics. I have too much to do hauling everyone to their athletics, homework, projects, cooking, and keep their minds off the fact Dad is gone. Come Sunday I make a big list, change all the sheets, scrub the kitchen, do laundry, and today… on my list was to wash my van.

Unlike my husband whose car is an extension of himself, I view my vehicle as strictly a functional tool. It gets me where I need to go. Period. Where his car is constantly washed and waxed on the outside and dusted and shined on the inside, my goal for my vehicle is simple: I just don’t want it to stink. I want nothing fermenting in my car.

However, every now and then, it will get so dirty on the outside that I realize I have to wash it for fear someone will lean up against and permanently soil their clothing. Today was the designated day and today it has rained… all day.

I pulled my car out, put soap in the bucket and let it fill with rain water while I tried to figure out what to tackle first. Luckily I was on the phone with VW who reminded me that taking off my shoes was in order and then I realized, “Wait! I have those cheap $12 WalMart waders!” Rubber boots on feet, ragged out in ratty clothes and an umbrella (the rain was cold) and with Son#3 volunteering to help, I washed the grime off my car. I soon realized there wasn’t enough rain, so I did have to get the hose. I know we looked like complete village idiots. I’m wearing rubber boots, carrying an umbrella, hosing down the car while Son#3 is wearing his Scooby Doo bathing suit sponging soap where we can reach.

Hey, it’s clean. I achieved my goal. Even if we did look like complete dorks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you struck a "nerve" with this one, as noone commented. I just have to say that the picture of a "Dorky-Mom" and a "Dorky-Kid" washing the car in the rain, just gives me a warm-fuzzy. That was a very sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny - Oh
Closet Extremist

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home