Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, November 12, 2004

Someone is Watching Over Me

The day started off in the usual fashion when my husband is traveling. Up at 6:30AM, make lunches for the kids, get them up, get their breakfast, and get them to school. After dropping the older boys off at their school, I ran back to Son#3’s school so I could do the PE thing. I ran home, took a shower, put on my pressed best, and then left for my meeting. This meeting has been nothing, but a pain in the neck for me, with speakers canceling at the last minute, planning during the hurricane, and no volunteers to assist. So as I show up, notebook in hand, handouts ready, presentation ready to give, my cell phone rings. The meeting starts at 11:30 and it is now 10:50. It is the eldest boys' school. Seems a transformer blew, they had no A/C, the windows wouldn’t open, and only partial lighting and… by the way, could I come get my kids. Holy crap, lions tours. I’m about to chair a 2 1/2 hour meeting and I have to get two of my kids.

I jump in my van, I’m venting at VW about how this sucks, God bless her as she’s functioning on 1 hour sleep and volunteers to take my boys because ‘they’re such great kids’, but I told her I knew we would be fine, but then I notice my empty gas light comes on and she hears, “F---! I have no gas! I gotta go!” and I hang up to find a gas station and grab $5 of gas to get me through. This to me is funnier as she has actually heard this expletive followed by I need gas, twice this week. I put 2000 miles a month on my car. I fill up a lot.

I pick up my boys and I’m immediately the drill sergeant. “Look me in the eyes and listen to me. Do not speak, just follow my directions. I am about to be late to a meeting that you MUST attend with me. Go upstairs, grab your pencil box and paper. You’re going to draw. Grab some books to read. Let’s Go!” And off they run. One of the Moms I know well sees me running ragged and says, “Let me take the boys. I’ll get them lunch, we’ll have fun. I love your kids and I already have 3 girls with me, so it’ll even out what I have.” I was stunned. She was so mellow. I was so… NOT. So… I said yes! And gave her money. And gave her a hug. But now I only had 10 minutes, so I kicked off my heels, shoes in hand and bolted to my van, making it to the meeting with 30 seconds to spare.

It was a great meeting. I love an endorphin rush. I feed off adrenaline. But NOT that kind of adrenaline. I can’t believe I didn’t frickin’ stroke out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Reading that terrifys me for tomorrow.

9:45 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Phew. Guess that means you didn't hear me laughing as I hung up. It wasn't 2 days ago you complained about gas. I just couldn't believe it. Glad to hear it all went well.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home