Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Random Thoughts

I was about to buy a package of frozen broccoli with cheese as a side dish for our dinner tonight. In the upper right corner of the package it said, “With MORE Real Cheese!” Whaaaaa??? As opposed to it being made before with a little real cheese and lots of fake cheese? That scared me. It didn’t make me want to buy it more. Poor marketing on someone’s part.

Lately on the radio I’ve been hearing a lot of remakes by alternative bands. I think a Peter Gabriel song was first, followed by Phil Collins. I was kind of surprised yesterday when I heard an alternative band remade a song by REO Speedwagon. That definitely got a stare at the radio with an eyebrow lift.

Today I heard “Another Brick in the Wall” by Pink Floyd remade by Korn. Why would someone think they could remake that song? Surely they did NOT think they would be better than the original? Any such thought would be pure arrogance and stupidity.

I am always humbled when I am in Karate and I realize that a student junior to myself is watching me for guidance. I was also humbled last night when I realized that although I continually tell my Sensei that I will not be testing for black belt, that he and one of the senior students have not given up hope for me. Perhaps it is a case of their being optimists, but I feel fortunate that they would make time for me and take the effort to assist me when it is quite clear my goals for myself are much different than their goals for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

You have to remember that this is a generation that is so arrogant, that they don't even know names of the bands that wrote and performed the songs. For example, the Avril Lavigne "David Bow-ie" incident at the Grammy nominations a couple of years back.

And, at least for Korn, this is MY generation. I just don't get it.

9:21 PM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

My thought is that covers are done,

a. because an artist is trying to show appreciation for a band's inspiration on the artist's band,

b. the artist was listening to the song, and thought, "Damn this is cool! I bet we could play this and add our own touch to it,"

and c. record company says, "Covers of old hits equal large sales numbers for that single. You, my musical friends, are going to cover ...."

Personal thoughts on Korn's cover ... I like it. But not as much as the original. Another good cover of that song was by Layne Staley, Tom Morello, Stephen Perkins, Martin Le Noble, and Matt Serletic. It's on "The Faculty" soundtrack.

One thing people need to realize when they record these cover tunes, is that you aren't just competing with the music... you are competing with memories associated with that music. That adds alot of weight to the originals.

One more thing: The broccoli and cheese deal. I do that all the time! There's been a couple instances where I'm standing in the aisle laughing because I thought of something similar! :)

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice, ice, baby!


Toluca Nole

2:42 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

So... getting you to test for black belt is going to be like getting you to start blogging? :-)

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home