Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, October 01, 2004

Water Vs. Fire

No, this isn't another Tarot quiz. This is about where I would rather live.

Would I rather live where there is the potential for big wind and a lot of rain and potential flooding?

OR

Would I rather live where fire is thrown through the sky at you and hot rivers of fiery stuff envelopes your home and belongings, turning it to cinders and ash?

Hmm. OK. Votes are in. I vote for water and wind. Don't know, but there's just something really frickin' scary about fire coming out of the sky and landing on my house. I mean, maybe I'm weird or something, but I can lift up my furniture from a few inches of flooding, I can put on hurricane shutters to protect my windows, and I can get a roof to withstand up to Cat 4 storms... but there ain't nuthin' that's protectin' my home from flying fire and lava rivers. Perhaps I watched too many films on Pompeii as a kid. Fascinating stuff... but I don't feel the need to experience it. Ever.

And inquiring minds want to know: Those who live near Mt. St. Helens... do they have as high a home owners' insurance deductible like we do down here in FL (2-10% of the value of our homes)? And do they have as difficult a time getting insurance as we do? And do they have to get a special rider like we do? We have to get a wind rider for hurricane. Do they have to get a volcanic explosion rider? And what do they call it? A 'hell fire and brimstone' rider? A flying fire and lava' rider? A 'You live too close to a mountain of hot lava and fire' rider?

And do they have to get different insurance based on how they're hit? Like a different rider for exploding fire hitting their house vs. a river of lava overtaking their home. Because we here in FL have to have a DIFFERENT policy for flooding. Our regular hurricane insurance doesn't cover that. Only the wind damage. So it only seems right that they have to get 'fire flood' insurance different from their fire falling out of the sky coverage.

Just wondering.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

You could always try the midwest. No special policy for tornadoes. :) Of course, flood insurance is extra, if you live in a flood plain. But would you trade your warm winters for ours?

5:53 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Yes, when we moved back down here two years ago obtaining homeowner's insurance was an adventure in apathy. No one cared, no one was helpful. What a treasure hunt it was to find our insurer[s]!

Then a few months ago our primary insurance company decided to stop issuing OR covering homeowner policies - at the end of the month. After a furious scramble we now have a cheaper policy, but when the prices vary company by company as much as 3,000 annually, something is WRONG!

My best friend lives in northern New Mexico, 30 south of Colorado. The air is clean, dry and sometimes pretty thin. ;)
The only thing they fear is drought. There are no hurricanes, tornados or volcanos. Not even earthquakes. But if it doesn't snow enough up in the mountains during the winter... water is in very, very short supply.

I could live with that. :)

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a third option, I would offer Tennessee. Four distinct seasons. Gorgeous Mountains. Only the occasional small earthquake (I've slept through the last two that I heard about, and no damage reported.) Great lakes. I could go on, but I'd just bore you.

If my choices were only the ones that you posited, I think I'd have to go with the volcanoe area. Therre's paradise, and then there's Paradise. Florida's all right, but I think Hawaii would be much better. That and Hawaii really has their Volcanoe "Shit" together. I haven't heard of anyone being hurt by one over there in a Very long time.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Funny you should say that. As our roof tiles were pulling off and we were lying on the floor of our hallway, I leaned over and said to my spouse, "You know... you could get your license for your profession in TN. You could do it. You really could." to which he looked at me and said, "WE AREN'T MOVING TO TN!"

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home