Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Karate... The Week in Review

Wow. I haven't done this in a long time. Perhaps because... I'M HORRIBLY OUT OF SHAPE AND DIDN'T TRAIN THE ENTIRE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER AND I SUCK! Yeah. That about sums it up.

I am remotivated today. I knew I had hit my groove again when I was waiting for my dinner to heat up after training tonight and I caught myself trying out various blocks and punches right in the middle of my kitchen.

Anyway... as for how training went tonight... Tonight we did "Circle of Death"

'Nuff said.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with you for sticking with it. There are times when I read your Karate posts and wish I didn't bruise so easily or horribly because then I'd go back to it again.

Then I stand in front of the dojo down the block and I see them kick each other and I just walk away, the wuss that I am.

Michele

9:07 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Hey, listen. I may not be having a good week up in Georgia next week, and may need a bit of back-up.

You available?? ;-)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do this in the kitchen as well. I also dance, sing and run around naked. It's good to be a bachelor. :)

Toluca Nole

11:36 AM  
Blogger Stu said...

What are circles of death?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Stu-

Circle of Death, that's what we call it because you hurt so bad at the end you feel like you want to die. You form a circle that is wide enough for everyone to be able to do their basics without hitting the person facing them opposite the circle or the people on either side.

Our Sensei picks something he wants to work on and the first person counts to 10 as each of us do whatever drill it is, one per count. So a simple face level punch, we would do 1 per count.

BUT THEN, the next person counts out 10 more for us, and it continues around the circle until every person has counted out 10. The bigger the circle, the more is sucks. Then you switch sides and do the same again.

He does it too, but he also walks the circle, correcting our form and motivating us individually.

The deal with being in a circle form, I have found, is I have an opponent. For instance, directly opposite me last night was my buddy Tom, and we are very competitive. There is no way in hell either of us wanted to show the other was a slacker, so it kept the levels high. It's a peer pressure thing. It is easy to slack off when people are side by side. Not so much in a circle formation where EVERYONE can see you.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home