Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Just the Band is Nice

As I posted above, we had Beach Training today. That requires I take off all my jewelry (we don’t ever train with jewelry on), but for some reason, I forgot to take off my wedding band. I have no idea why; it’s never happened before. I think, however, it was subconscious as I’m really weary of his traveling and I miss him. (He’s in NYC right now.) And little things like the following conversation that occurred this morning do not help. Keep in mind, since August 1st I’ve gained probably 10 lbs. Between not training because of school and kid’s sports interference and then the hurricanes and the comfort food, I loathe myself right now. I feel like I’m shaped like a 5’2 tree stump.

Him: We ended up eating really late last night and you wouldn’t believe who joined us!
Me: Who?
Him: Some big super models joined our table. So-and-so knew them so they joined us and had dinner with us!
Me: Oh. That’s nice. Sooooo… what did you have for dinner?

Yeah, hearing your husband was joined by Super Models at dinner is not something that a tree stump wife wants to hear. Blech.

Anyway, I was wearing just my wedding band today and I thought how nice it looked, just with my band. I usually wear 5 rings. On my left hand a Chinese chop ring with my name from when I lived in Taiwan, my engagement ring and my band. On my right an Irish wedding band and my great grandmother’s wedding band.

I’m a pretty simple person. My band is thin and not ornate. When I picked it out, it was $35. That was part of what I loved about it. Simple and inexpensive. I never wanted an engagement ring. Don’t get me wrong, I do love it, but I wanted either to pass on it all together, feeling they are huge marketing ploys by the wedding and jewelry industries, much like Valentine’s Day is a Hallmark holiday, or I wanted a small sapphire as it’s my favorite gem. Whatever. It’s not what HE wanted me to have, so I have the single solitaire. Very simple. It is nice.

But I like my band. And I see my hand in just my wedding band and I like it. I took my kids out to dinner tonight and I didn’t put my other rings back on. I’m wearing just my band for awhile. Simple and understated.

4 Comments:

Blogger vw bug said...

I understand. I love my wedding band. I would have gotten myself an emerald ring versus a diamond, but what he gave me was simple and beautiful. He picked it out himself and I would not trade it for the world. Side note, I recently put it back on (after having it off because of the infants) and my poor sons are both getting scratched. Hmmm. Need to work on that technique of making sure the diamond is out of the way. ;-)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

When Doug & I got engaged the last thing on my mind was an engagement ring. I didn't want one. The only thing they are really for (in my mind) is to flash about to other women in a airy manor. And I am just not "airy". When it came to wedding bands I wanted simple and meaningful. We decided on Claddagh rings (traditional Irish bands). Nothing could mean more to me.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told Jim he would make out well with me re: our engagement and/or wedding rings. I would love to have a simple Irish wedding band. I am finally past the place where I need to prove that I am worth something by the engagement ring (Gosh - I still cringe at how I flashed the one from WG all over MCS.)Re: supermodels, gawd, I know what you mean. What is it about 10 lbs that makes us feel like donning huge white t-shirts and avoiding tucking tops in ??

2:23 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

5'2" tree stump - don't make me come down there and kick your ass!! I understand, but you couldn't be father far that.

It's funny about wedding rings. My friend that's getting married next month has the biggest ring I've ever seen in my life. At the bacholorette party everyone is ohhing and ahhing. Here's me. "Can you even get your wedding band on with that? How do you lift your hand?" We laughed cause I really am thrilled for her and know her future husband well enough to know that he just wanted to get her the very best that he could. But still......geez someone could lose an eye with that thing.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home