Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, October 15, 2004

Fall vs. Spring

I told VW at breakfast that I was going to ask my readers their opinion and I forgot. Her post HERE reminded me... (Make sure you look at it... I love Calvin and Hobbes!)

OK, I was over at Pam's and she was talking about her favorite month is October. Mine is actually November. Either way, if you boil it down... it means we both love the Fall. So VW, who loves Fall too, and I were talking at breakfast the other day and we were wondering:

Is Fall our favorite because we're coming off of our dreadfully hot horrible summer months (forget about the hurricanes, I'm just talking sweltering heat in general) and the Fall is such a welcome change? Cool air is just refreshing. Cleans out the cobwebs of the stale and stagnant summer... A cool breeze upon our faces as opposed to the hot sting of the scorching sun. To me Fall is more of an aphrodisiac month than spring. It.just.is. Spring reminds me that the hot months I dread are soon upon us.

But I hear people up North talk about how much they love Spring. And I wonder... is it because they're coming off their equally brutal winters? Are they happy at the hint of taking off their parkas and putting on shorts? Of feeling a slightly warm breeze upon their faces as opposed to the cold harsh winter wind?

Would I find that the people of the Northern states with the brutally cold long winters love Spring more than Fall? Is Fall just another season, but they cannot wait for Spring?

And are the three of us the only ones down here who love Fall or do other people of other warm states find it the same way... the Fall is just... lovely.

We were just wondering.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jovianne said...

The Yankee speaks...
Fall is my favourite time of year for several reasons.
Coming out of the Heat&Humidity of summer.
The glorious colours that the foliage turns.
(I love colour)
The anticipation of winter.
Football.

Spring is great also, but, as you said, its because of the icky winters.
New life, new growth, yada yada yada, is all nice but
I actually prefer the colder temps of autumns and winters.
...and I can't stand the summers here.
Jovi

11:02 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Hmmm. I find fall to be an aphrodisiac. I find spring to give me a warm fuzzy as I see all the new growth. I'm so glad fall is here. Feels GREAT.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

I'm really, really far north, almost to Canada.

This year, I would vote for Fall. It has been absolutely spectacular - warm, cool nights, gorgeous. Our leaves are stunning up here.

Unfortunately, this is a bit out of the norm. Normally both our fall and our spring consist of RAIN RAIN RAIN. I hate it.

Normally, Winter gets my vote as best up here. But hey, I'm a skier . . .

6:40 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I vote for fall as well. In Iowa the harvest is going on, the leaves are turning and we have left behind the hot hot hot days of August. Orchards and pumpkin patches are open for hay rides and hot cider.

I also think clothing has a lot to do with my love of fall. Wool skirts, suede boots, sweaters. It's the classiest time of the year.

And, usually, it marks the beginning of hockey. Unless the players get greedy & the commissioner cancels the season. ARGH!!!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Mr. Wisconsin says:

Spring - no more shoveling, warmer temperatures, and it's 9 more months until winter.

Fall - pretty leaves, but you have to rake them :-(

I'm for spring.

7:16 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

I heard we were in for some cooler [I know how relative that is] temps, but when I went outside this morning to potty the dogs it was still a shock... I LOVE IT! :)

The cooler air makes me come alive; I crank these old windows open and want to clean everything. Oh, and I want to bake.
WooHoo! Cool air!! All that's missing are the brilliant leaves! ;)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Stu said...

My favorite time of the year is the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It gets darker earlier, and although I don't like that too much, I do like going Christmas shopping and looking at all the lights.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I've lived both north and south - my favorite has always been fall. Cool crisp air. Doesn't get yucky til November. Never liked spring. Drug on too long....too rainy....too depressing....

It was 53 degrees this morning when I left for work!! WooHoo. If I would have realized I could have worn a sweater. :) Now if we just had the leaves......

1:59 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Stu- I love that part too! I love the festive feeling.

_Jon, I laugh at 'late spring'. Michigan early spring is still pretty much winter. Parka weather!

I expected more Northern answers like Harvey's (Havey lives WAY North). I'm surprised but understand why so many Northerner's like Fall.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Hey! I'm not WAY north!

I'm from *southern* Wisconsin :-)

Oh, and I'd like to change my answer to what _Jon said. Ahhhh! The first cleavage of spring :-)

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home