Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

We All Live in a Cream Colored Submarine

Shutters are up. There were some real highlights. Last night's highlight was when it started to lightning. Nothing like holding up a 6 foot piece of aluminum knowing lightning is only 3 miles away. (Oh yeah, I was doing that 1 thousand and 1, 1 thousand and 2 thing between strike and sound.) This morning we were putting them up and it started to rain. That was lovely. Once again, my choice for the day was a white t-shirt... I'm starting to see a pattern and should probably switch to another color of first choice. Then of course we were loving life when we realized that on one of our sliders, the panels were too long. It's OK if they're a bit short, but even a mm too long is a bad thing. Luckily we had a hammer and we beat it into submission and made the damn thing fit.

I got nervous when on one window we had one too many panels. It's akin to putting your car back together and having extra pieces. After looking over it again and again, we realized it was their screw up, not ours.

People are driving through the neighborhood making sure that nobody needs help. We've had neighbors here, one of us loaned us a wing nut attachment for our cordless which was way cool, and we've been over at others helping them with their shutter puzzles.

Driving around today, there is no gas to be found. No propane either, although I have my husband with orders to buy an extra tank should the propane fairy appear to him this afternoon. (He's at his Dad's place putting up shutters.) If you turn on the radio, you'll hear them say things like, "This just in! A gas tanker just pulled into the Citgo on the corner of Okechobee and Military Trail!" or "The Home Depot on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd is out of plywood, but the such and such Plastic company in Lake Worth still has plastic shutters. Call us for the number."

Banks are closed. Luckily I got my money yesterday.

There is heavy traffic everywhere.

There are five in my family, but there may be as many as 16 staying with me. I find out tomorrow. People are calling me frantic. One friend of mine found out last night that her apartment complex wasn't going to put up their shutters. I told her to come over and it looks like they may. They have three kids. My husband's business partner has a place to stay, but he and his wife and daughter still may end up here. My brother in law and his wife and baby may end up here. Anyone without shutters is worried. I'm cleaning house and making room.

I'm worried and I have shutters.

So what does one do when they are prepared and just waiting? Well... I bake. I'm making cookies. No reason for all that good butter to go to waste!

My husband's best friend from college called me today. He lives in Miami and was in their home during Andrew when it got hit by a tornado. He said to me, "I remember you coming down the day after Andrew and bringing us everything we needed. We didn't forget. If you take a hit, we'll be there the next day." So that was comforting.

I'll keep you posted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Well of course you're baking cookies. You're a mom. It makes perfect sense to me. But then again, I'm resting from scrubbing my floors - gotta make sure the house is nice and clean for the hurricane you know.

Hang tough. You got an interesting group comin' over, so make sure you pick up some decks of cards. Might as well make it a game night.

Seriously, I'll call you when I'm on my way to the west coast. Take care. Prayers

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you're doing what I would do-baking. Having people over. Being strong when you feel gooey inside. I'll be thinking of you, babe.

//Helen
(Everyday Stranger)

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care girl, blog as long as you can. But if the power does go please post as soon as you come back on. We are all thinking of you.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home