Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Excuse The Language But...

We are so Fucked. I woke up this morning and that sucker is heading right for us.

I am blogging intermittently as it is a release. They will be rather short. I'll keep you posted on what we're seeing here as I also have to go out and about today, unfortunately.

My father in law was in WWII in the Navy. His ship was hit by a Kamakaze. He said that no matter where he ran on that ship, that plane looked like it was coming for for HIM. Everyone felt that way. No place to run, no place to hide. As good fortune would have it, it hit the edge of his boat, bounced off, and sunk in the ocean, not exploding. His ship took in water and it nearly sunk, he was wounded and received a Purple heart which he deserved and never threw away.

The feeling we have here in Florida is a small similar feeling to that. I'm not trivializing his experience, I'm just trying to think of something else that could be akin. It doesn't matter where we look on the map, it looks like we're going to take a hit. I look at Lauderdale and I see a big hit. I look at us and I see a hit. I look at Orlando and I see a hit. I look to our West Coast still trying to heal wounds and clean up from Charley and I see a hit. It doesn't matter where I look... I see a hit. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Some may be wondering still why we have not evacuated. I do NOT live on the coast. Everyone who lives in Florida does not live on the beach. I live about 15 miles inland, so there is no storm surge problem, which is why people have mandatory evacuation. They are telling us to sit tight if our homes are safe and not to get on the roads. A mass exodus from this State is not smart and not doable. I have a safe room, I have shutters and I have water. My house is just as safe as a school or any other evacuation shelter. I live too far south to go anywhere easily. If I lived in Daytona, I'd be all over driving West to one of those square states. It takes me 5 hours to get out of Florida on a good day, no traffic.

I got a call from my brother in law in Parkland and they are not secured. If it looks like its hitting his area (Lauderdale) they're coming here.

Pray this bad boy weakens and that it doesn't hit a Cat 5. Losing our roof would be a bad things on many levels.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Damn. I saw the change as soon as I woke up. (of course I slept to the weather channel last night.

thinking of you!!!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Just remember, Bou, hurricanes are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Oh, wait... that's bumblebees.

Nevermind.

Stay safe, darlin'. We're rootin' for ya :-)

9:21 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

My husband has commanded we leave after dinner tonight. Pray to God we make it.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bou,
I hope you and your guys stay safe. We're worried about you. Will you evacuate? Please keep us posted of your actions. The almost continual weather reports up here are keeping us informed on developments.

I'd say come up to NY and stay with us, but between the insane protestors and the president's visit near my home last night and him being at the Waldorf 2 blocks from me right now, the atmosphere is frenetic. Don't know if you'd want to come. I almost want to join YOU down there.

All of you will be in my prayers!

12:29 PM  
Blogger j&c said...

Keep safe; I'm praying for you too.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home