Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, August 30, 2004

On the First Day, God Created Light

We’ve decided we won’t evacuate. Frickin’ Frances is moving too fast. So we’re hunkering down and I’m getting us ready.

Home Depot sold $150,000 worth of generators. This.Morning. They’re sold out. Tomorrow I’m running to Lowes to see what they have going on.

I went to Home Depot to pick up two items. The first was workman’s gloves. I picked up a pair for me and my spouse. We need to protect our hands while hauling out the 12 tons of aluminum in my garage.

The second thing I needed was a tiny little flashlight bulb for his mega-man flashlight. I replaced the square battery last night and that didn’t solve the problem. So off I go in search of a tiny little light bulb, the size of a finger tip. Luckily, I kept the lightbulb in my pocket.

Now I want to know honestly if I am the only one who feels this way. When I think flashLIGHT I think LIGHTing department. Does anyone else see this association here? LIGHT? Off I go to the lighting section. I already feel self conscious because I’m the only woman in there. Everyone else in the morning hours are manly men looking for something they needed for some manly man project they are building. I don’t usually feel self conscious since I’ve spent most of my life around men, but for some reason, a couple odd looks made me feel like I had a “Kick Me” sign on my back or food on my face and I instantly no longer wanted to be there. I kept wondering if I looked stupid or lost. So now I have a look of determination that I know EXACTLY where I’m going and I WILL find this without asking for help.

Down the lighting aisles I go. Bright Lights all over. No flashlights. I see lightbulbs. A whole aisle of them. Somehow on that aisle, I spotted the ONLY lightbulb for flashlights… it was the wrong size. Finally after about 15 minutes, I realize I’m going to have to break up one of the many conversations going on amongst the employees and ask for help. The guy takes me to hardware. HARDWARE. Why in the hell are flashlights with hardware? They should be with LIGHTS because they CREATE LIGHT!

Right above the flashLIGHTS hang dozens of tiny little lightbulbs. On not one, NOT ONE, is there a listing on the package as to the voltage. I pull out my little lightbulb and in miniscule writing, fit for a mouse if they could write, it has the voltage, which I can barely read, and “Made in Hong Kong”, which jumped out. This gentleman and I are picking all the packages up, one by one, squinting our eyes, comparing numbers, until we could find the right voltage. What a pain in the neck.

The person who decided not to put the specs for the bulbs on the packaging should be shot. The person from Home Depot who designed their layout needs to rethink it. FlashLIGHTS belong in LIGHTing!!!! And that one little lonely flashLIGHT bulb sitting by itself in the LIGHTing department is in the CORRECT place and it should be joined by all it’s little flashLIGHT bulb friends!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh - when I MUST hit HD - when it's an absolute necessity... then I never ever waste time trying to figure out where anything is at. If I don't see it listed specifically on one of the aisle signs - I accost the nearest employee who isn't helping another customer and politely ask where I can find what I'm looking for.

HD is not known for it's convenient layout - things are never where I would expect to find them - so I don't feel stupid for asking. But that's just me. *grin*

I got over my fear of asking questions when I went back to college. There I was - at least 10 years older than most of the teeny-boppers sitting in the class - so when I didn't understand something - I would stop the teacher and make them tell me again until I got it. I'm not slow, but many times they would skip steps. (a bad thing in a math class...). Anyhow, since I didn't have to worry about what the cute guy across the room thought of me (or being a guy - the cute girl) I figured I had nothing to lose by making a fool of myself. This got me over all fear of asking questions. LOL.

-- Teresa

10:43 PM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Errr, you expected logic in an environment that predominantly deals with (and was probably set setup by) the male gender?

muahahahahahahaahahahahahah

Not knocking men, but sometimes they put things in the weirdest places. Just goes to show the difference between the male and female minds. Fortunately, I love home improvement stores, and unless I'm in a hurry I enjoy wandering about getting aroused by the power tools and drooling over various gadgets I either can't afford, or have no idea wtf they are used for.

All joking aside, good luck and stay safe!

11:03 PM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Most hardware stores I've been in, keep the flashlights by the batteries. Now, remember, I hit small town stores. The Montards, Blowes, and Home Despots just make me uncomfortable. Great stuff in them, just too cold feeling.

And good luck to ya.

1:08 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

ha ha ha. You applied to much logic to this one. That1Guy made perfect 'logical' sense. At least I can see why men would want to put flashlights with batteries. The two have to be bought at the same time and you might as well make it as quick and painless as possible. ha ha ha ha. I still agree... lights go together and just move the batteries.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Yea, lighting is for lighting fixtures and supplies. Flashlights are hand held and a tool. IE it will be generally in hardware witht he batteries or possibly if you are in a department store the camping supplies. I know some of the big chains like Wally World, k-mart, target sometimes keep them in housewares. but they are always with the batteries.

Honestly if they put the flashlights with lighting, I think I would have to stop shopping there because that's just wrong. hehehehe.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I'm going to try and avoid the Depot this storm. Heading to Walmart right now. I'm hoping to find everything I need there. I don't do so well with the Depot. I think it's because I think very similarly to you and it just doesn't make sense to me!!

BTW - got any plywood? We can't find any up here, and now they are saying Frances will probably arrive in Orlando on Sunday. I'm starting to take these things personally!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

de-LIGHT-ful post :-D

[runs away dodging rocks & bottles]

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure had a en-LIGHT-ening day. Sorry, I had to do it too.

Bad BeeBee, Bad Bad BeeBee

Stay safe.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Ahh... Contagion nailed it. No pun intended. It is a tool because it is handheld. Hmpf. I think flashlights should be with lighting and their lightbulbs and batteries should be WITH them in lighting.

Ours didn't have a spare light inside. I wish it did. I probably wouldn't be half blind now looking at the voltages on 50 different tiny lights.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home