Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Hurricane Preps

Not a lot of time, will be blogging as a release.

Tammi is having server problems, but she is blogging too as we prepare. She is temporarily at (Correction!) http://www.roadwarriorsurvival@blogspot.com As she put it, "I will not be silenced!" *Big Grin*

It's bad here. People are beginning to panic. My bank has it's shutters up. I parked next to someone who was getting cash to evacuate. I could tell by looking in their car that they were moving out. No rooms left on the West coast... people keep talking about going to Naples but I have no clue where they think they're going to stay. The only way to evacuate is NorthWest towards Pensacola.

Gas is intermittently hard to get. No generators of course. Anyone want to ship me one from the great white north, I won't argue! I'm sure it'll be about 10K in postage. *grin*

I'm taking pictures today of my posessions. Storing stuff in plastic bags, all paper products etc. Went to Publix and did last minute stuff. 2 more gallons of water and wipes to clean our hands and wipe down surfaces.

Making lists. Backing up my computer files. Looking to see what I need to store from water damage like wedding albums and family heirlooms. Calling a neighbor without shutters and telling them to bring water and stay with us.

I function very well under stress. My body is showing signs though... the tremor I have developed... don't know if it's from too much caffeine which I normally don't drink or if it's my bod telling me it's approaching a break point. I'm banking on caffiene.

Schools closed on Friday I hear, already, but not official. I'm a weather wonk. Weather channel on 24/7.

This bad boy is big. Really big. Amost 200 miles in diameter and hauling ass. 80 miles in diameter of hurricane force winds. Even if it hits Stuart, north of me, we'll still get hurricane winds.

Palm Beach County areas you will hear about in the news if we take a hit: North Palm, West Palm, PB Gardens, The Farms, The Acreage, Boynton Beach, Lantana, Delray, Palm Beach, Jupiter, Tequesta, Belle Glade (The Glades), and Pahokee.

Martin County: Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Hobe Sound, Port Salerno.

We have Vero and Sebastian just North of Martin County. Fort Pierece too.

Pray for the folks in the Bahamas. People are going to die. Pray this doesn't hit Lake O spot on. Pray if it does that it doesn't hang there. Don't know how much stress that dike can take.

UPDATE: Strike zone probability in WPB as of Sat morning is 20%. Highest of any other strike zone other than the damn Bahamas that are at 50% and are being nailed pretty soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Nice Blog I wasn't aware of another hurricane coming in. Or are you still talking about Charlie?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

Charley? Are you kidding? Charley was medium potatoes compared to Frances. Turn on the weather channel. This is all we're talking about down here. This thing could very well effect every square mile of Florida it's so big, depending on where it hits.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Bou - I made a mistake - it's www.roadwarriorsurvival.blogspot.com

Anyway - there are no rooms ANYWHERE. The only thing folks in Vero/South Melbourne can find is in Kissimmee!! Kissimmee for cryin' out loud. That's almost as bad.

They are talking manditory evac of Brouvard County as of Friday.

I'm in full blown panic. Yeah, Full blown. Not even hitting stores today. Just calling. This is one of those times it's people first.

I'll be updating blogspot as I can. I'm also blogging for release.

Damn Damn Damn

11:03 AM  
Blogger Kathy K said...

We've got trash all over that could go ballistic if it hits us (and that's true of everyone that got hit by Charley). The west coast isn't in a big panic, but we are definitely anxious.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Take care down there. We'll be pulling for you all. I looked into overnighting generators... not as bad as I thought it would be. Now the Gas situation I can't help with.

12:59 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Wasn't going to post anymore...but found this great website and figured your blog gets more coverage:

http://www.weather.com/safeside/supplykit.html

Hope it helps. Wish I was 'bugging' out of here. :-)

2:28 PM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Ya'll stay safe! We're off to Home Depot... see you in a few days! ;)

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can always just pack that ball of noise in the van and come up here to Lower Alabama.
TGOO

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! Now see, if my husband had gotten a job already in North Carolina (Charlotte area) I would've had you guys and Tammi on the road up to my place to stay with me!!!! I know, long drive, but hey - better than riding out the brunt on the spot.

We have a generator - we got it after the big storm of 2000 here - when our electricity got knocked out and we ended up with a flooded basement... sigh. Lost a lot of stuff that time. Made us jumpy about having electric to run the sump pumps.

Anyhow, sounds like you're as prepared as you can be. Way better than some of the people in Virginia when the hurricane hit there last year. (I actually heard a guy - who had driven his family 50 miles to a McDonalds that had power- say, they hadn't thought to buy any food you could eat with out having to cook it!!!)

-- Teresa

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home