Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Someone's Mama Didn't Raise Her Right

I recently received an invitation to a baby shower. I don’t mind going to showers, bridal or baby, I don’t. I just prefer to go to showers of women I KNOW and not showers of women who just happened to have worked for my Better Half within the last 3 years, even if they were employees for many years. Perhaps it is just the anti-social part of me.

So I have this invitation in my hand and I’m trying to figure out some way out of it, gazing at the calendar hoping for a dreadfully hot soccer game I must attend, maybe my better half is out of town and “oh, I’m so sorry, I can’t find a sitter.” No such luck, so I put it aside trying to figure out if I just flat out say no, if it will cause any marital strife. It’s all about picking your battles.

My Better Half comes home last night and says everyone at work is griping about this invitation because it’s a ‘just stop by and drop off a gift party’. Wha? I pick up the invitation and sure enough, it says, “Stop by between 1 and 4 and visit SusieQ”. You have got to be frickin’ kidding me. Is this like a drive by shooting, but instead of unloading bullets, you just throw a gift at the house/soon to be Mother?

I said, “Well, there are four women putting this on, so I am sure there will be a lot of food and stuff.”
He replies, “Nope. Not from what they say at work.”
Now I’m aghast and I tell him I have never heard of such a thing. He informs me that this is evidently fairly common now, according to the women in his office.

You have got to be kidding me. When did it become OK to invite people to just come by and drop off a gift? Where is the hospitality? The meeting of all her friends and family? The food? The music? The incredibly insipid games I hate, but play to amuse the guest of honor?

Hunh. I have one word for this. Tacky. Notice the capital T. TACKY!!!! TACKY!!!!

Now I have my excuse. I looked at my Better Half and said, “Screw that. Why bother to stop by. I’ll just mail her something or better yet, you can have someone in the office drop it off with theirs when they go to this drive by party. Saves us postage.” Solved that real quick.

8 Comments:

Blogger littlejoe said...

To steal a phrase from the eloquent Acid-Man.

JUST DAMN!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

There are a lot of trends anymore that tend to make me wonder about people. From the 5 baby showers my wife has done in the last 2 years, none of them where like that. But it doesn't surprise me. I guess I'm old fashioned in the fact that when I throw a party, I like to make sure there is plenty of food (I usually end up eating on left overs for a week), plenty of drink and I try to make all my guests comfortable and relaxed (Don't always succeed there, but I try). I'm sorry, but I would not even send a gift if I was you. Nope, not at all. First you don't really know the person, Second its an invite for a gift, not a party. It's like being invited to wedding by someone you don't know or don't really get along with. You know why they are asking you to be there.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Hey everybody! Come to my blog and put some money in my PayPal tip jar!

Don't read any entries or leave any comments on your way through, please :-P

9:49 AM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

OK, I have to admit the gift drive-by sounds like something I would prefer - I hate people - but it's damned tacky and I'm not pathetic enough to basically make people feel like they aren't even worth my hospitality and tasty snacks. "Just give me the damned prezzie and go the hell away" is what I'm getting from this practice.

I have to go with Contagion on this. The woman is obviously, and BLATANTLY not interested in anything more than getting as many presents from as many people as she humanly can. Don't send her a gift. Or if you do, send something really weird and tacky, like those electric outlet covers with a note saying that they were indispensible to you while your kids were growing up. Just one pack now, don't want to get too extravagant.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned, this doesn't even merit a reply much less a gift! Sheesh. At MOST I MIGHT call to the "gift" collectors telling them "Gee I'm so sorry I won't be able to make it". But, send a gift? Never! Why don't they set up a collection booth out on the street and ask for donations from anyone driving by... it amounts to the same thing. Good Grief!!!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Harvey, unless you have nice breasts, I can call you Sweet Tits and you bring me beer, I'll save my money for someone that does fit that discription...

BTW I'm not saying your cleavage isn't nice, I just wouldn't know. :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Very good analogy, Harvey.

Amazingly rude people. I looked up that reference, Grau. LOL! And I could do the electrical plug thing, Ana., and I COULD get away with it, with three boys and my being a techno geek...

It is unfortunate that we are going to HAVE to get them a gift, but I think the more I mull this over, it will not be a baby shower gift. We'll mail them something after the baby is born. I'm just way too irritated with the rudeness of it... as much as I really do hate playing all those games!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Contagion - I'm not much for cleavage, but my bosom IS soft and furry, so I got THAT goin' for me... :-P

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home