Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

I have this list of topics I know I’ll eventually blog on and Grau’s blog on his dog reminded me of this one.

My kids are deathly afraid of dogs. I find this to be exceedingly unfortunate because I LOVE dogs. Medium size and big dogs. Not the little punt puppy yappy kind. Sorry if you love those, but I’ve been emotionally scarred by one of those and can’t deal.

My bro in law and sis in law have two awful nasty dogs. Well, actually, the Norwegian Elkhound is a super dog, but has picked up some bad habits from its older ‘brother’ a yappy genetic mutant 20 lb Yorkie. Damn I hate that dog. It snips and snarls and yaps and is just mean and has been since the minute they brought that daggum thing home. So the Elkhound, a dog that is basically a big teddy bear, has learned these bad barking habits from this yappy little POS. But when an Elkhound barks, it is a bellow! Big and loud! And scary. Especially if you’re 7.

Because of these two dogs, my kids are scared to death of all dogs. So to rectify this, I have decided we are going to get a dog. A big one. A lab. About 3 years old. To satisfy my needs, it cannot be a puppy. I love babies, just not to live with. I’m over the baby “insert any mammal name here” stage. After three kids, I will love on other people’s babies, play with their puppies, smooch on their kittens, but then… they have to go home. So I have to have an older dog.

My kids are aware of the fact we are getting a dog eventually and are a bit nervous. I took them to an acquaintance’s house the other day and she has both a yellow and black lab, both over the age of 3. Beautiful dogs. Very sweet. The yellow lab is very friendly, but his big waggy tail, slurpy tongue, and wet nose, still scares Son #2. However, the black lab is blind, so he just stands there.

On our way out, Son#2 said to me, “Ok Mom, we can have a dog, but can we have a blind one?” Our new specs for our dog now are: Lab, 3 years old, loves kids, and blind. Go figure.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the specs on the pooch!=) Kids come up with some of the best one liners.

T1G

4:04 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

"punt puppy"

ROTFL! :-D

I should REALLY let you borrow horse-dog Jake. He's 120 pounds of big, dumb, lovable, warm, cuddly apathy.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mastiffs are awesome dogs. Aunt and uncle had 3(only 2 at a time), and they loved everyone ... until the family was gone. Didn't matter if you were over there everyday, it was not a smart move to visit at that time. Only gripe was that the back yard always looked like someone had been cutting down small trees!

That 1 Guy

11:00 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

See, that's what I REALLY want, a big damn dog. Like Jake. Or Angus. I think I will get overruled on that. And the only thing that makes me nervous about big dogs, is what That1Guy said, what's left in my backyard. I have a full acre. There's plenty of room for a dog and my kids are good kids. And I LOVE dogs. Damn. What more could a dog ask for? I just have to get BoysIII over their fear.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

On the poop issue - look at it this way: BIG piles of dog poop are easier to spot than little piles of dog poop.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-)

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home