Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

My Son the Artist... Part I

Harvey has something on stick figure humor today and a link to a very funny stick figure cartoon created by Frank J of IMAO, which of course reminded me of a couple stories. I have also come to realize from Frank’s stick figure cartoon, that the stick figure art I have in this home is not a phase. I gather from Harvey’s comments and Frank’s drawing, that this is something that will be in my life… forever. And it is very funny, so I’m cool with it. This is part one of a two part series.

Son #1 was in 1st grade and he loved to draw. He didn’t care much about the detail, but cared more about what was happening in the picture. Day after day, I would receive picture after picture of stick figures, being eaten by sea serpents. They would be sitting on a boat deck and suddenly get eaten. Or there would be 10 – 20 of them holding hands on the bottom of the ocean and a great three (3) headed serpent would swoop down and eat them. It was graphic, for stick figure art. There was a lot of dismemberment with swirly blood floating in the ocean. The line of stick figures in the water? Oh some would be missing heads, while others were eaten in half. There were stick bodies floating in the water. It was funny in a sick way, but I kept waiting for his teacher to send us to group counseling as a family. Surely she thought something was seriously wrong with us.

One day I opened his backpack and there was this picture of a little girl, in two-dimension, she wasn’t a stick figure, holding a heart balloon, blue birds are flying, there’s a rainbow, love love love, life is good. I looked at Son #1 and said, “Hey, did you draw this?”, while quietly smirking to myself. Indignantly he yelled, “HEY! That’s not mine!” No kidding. The next day I get in carpool pick up and as he gets in the car I yell over to his teacher. She walks over and I tell her I have a piece of artwork that I think is not ours. I pull it out; she looks at it and smiles and says, “Oh! This DEFINITELY is NOT yours!” and starts to laugh. I replied, “I’ve been waiting for you to send us to family counseling” and she laughed again and said, “Why? You have a boy?” I loved his teacher!

3 Comments:

Blogger Contagion said...

My oldest draws pictures of things blowing up and things being killed by swords and things. He drew a wonderful picture in school a couple months back of some redcoated figures being hit with sausage bombs. I don't know where he gets this material.... I really don't. (Sidelong glance at Grau to silence him)

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! I got freaked out in my first teaching post by childish artistic creations that were straight out of the lyrics to "Jeremy". For about a minute. Then I saw that they ALL drew like that. Boys seem to outgrow violent drawings in favour of sketching boobie pictures by the age of ten. This phase lasts until, uh, when did you stop exactly, Harvey? ;)

Sally

8:22 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

I never really drew anything. I had no artistic talent and I knew it, so I just stuck to enjoying good art made by other people.

By which I mean I kept stealing my dad's Playboys.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home