Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, June 26, 2004

If You Can Dodge Traffic, You Can Dodge a Ball…

What do you do when your plans cancel and you still have a sitter? You go to a movie. We love going to movies. It’s a great escape. It’s not the same as renting either, because he can rent a movie and I’ll read a book, the newspaper, or a blog instead. If I’m in my house and I have down time, I read. Period.

Today, I was feeling sorta kinda melancholy so when he asked me what movie I wanted to see, I sure as hell wasn’t going to say, “Notebook!”. Yeah. Right. Let’s see a movie that makes me want to slit my wrists. So I said instead, “Something light and funny” to which his reply was, “OK, let’s see Dodgeball.”

Allow me to inform you that ‘funny’ movies such as ‘Dodgeball’ are not my brand of humor. I just find them stupid and silly. I didn’t see Dumb and Dumber, I’ve not seen Zoolander, and they all may be terrifically funny movies, but if I have a sitter, which is a rare event, I want a sure thing. I don’t want to leave the theater thinking, “Damn. I wasted two hours seeing THAT when I could have seen something else!” Movies I think are funny are, “Four Weddings and a Funeral” and “Waking Ned Divine.” It appears to be a trend for British movies, but keep in mind, two points do not make a trend! Well, I do love Monty Python too, but I just prefer more serious comedy, if that makes sense. So when my better half said, “Dodgeball”, I thought, “Phht. Ok.”

Off we went, my expecting nothing and I am sorry to say, I laughed. A lot. And hard. Very hard in some places. It’s not a movie I can recommend because everyone’s tastes in movies are different and God only knows what kind of funked out mood I was in, but I did laugh. We are sitting through the credits and I look at my better half and say, “I cannot believe I laughed at that movie” and he replied with an incredulous look regarding my statement, “Why?! That movie had some funny shit in it!” We are still trying to figure how why it’s funny when someone gets hit in the head with a dodgeball… even after it has already occurred 50 times previously.

Meanwhile, still not wanting to go home (hey, we had a sitter… I considered it a grand escape!) we stopped by some new franchise place called, “Atlanta Bread Company” where I ordered a piece of chocolate truffle cheesecake. I am a carb freak. Add chocolate to it and I am putty in your hands. This terrible evil combination is what keeps me from my ultimate goal of achieving the body Linda Hamilton had in Terminator 2. Anyway, my better half ordered a Pork Cuban. He ate half. And I unfortunately ate the other half. After eating my cheesecake. I’m going to be in the gym reading lips tomorrow. But man o man, it was good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Contagion said...

We have an Atlanta Bread Company up here. There food is pretty good. Having a sitter is a wonderful thing. The wife and I had one lastnight... I'm nursing one hell of a hang over this morning.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I want to try the ABC for breakfast. I didn't see grits on their menu, but they had omelettes!

I did, I laughed my ass off. It was more of a spurt laugh. It would just come out. The whole theater was like that. Then I found myself laughing at the fact I was laughing so hard. And it felt really really good!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tes, one .. two .. three

6:13 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Bou - on your last point... personally, I've always thought lip-reading should be done in braille ;-)

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home