Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I Don't Think He Signed Up For This...

The question of the day from my 5 year old was, “Mom, why doesn’t Father ever change his clothes? He wears the same thing every day.”

He thinks our priest wears the same clothes every day. Blech. That cracked me up. I can’t wait to tell Father next time I see him. The last big quote was when Father came into the Kindergarten to eat lunch with them and my son said to the teacher, “I saw Father’s wife in Publix!” We had to laugh. Father said, “Oh really? Wonder who she was…” I have to wonder what the woman looked like that he thought she was his wife.

And the poor guy… evidently he told my son he would ride the ferris wheel with him at the Carnival. All week I’ve been waiting to say to Father, “Watch out. My son is going to hold your feet to the fire on that one!”, but I never saw him. Lo and behold, the day of the Carnival came, I’m busy working in the money room and I see Son#3’s teacher. I said, “Oh! I have to find Father. Son#3 said he was going to have him go on the ferris wheel with him!” and his teacher replied, “Too late. They already did.”

Evidently most of the weekend people would say, “Has anyone see Father” and the standard reply would be “He’s up in the Ferris wheel with Son#3 and his family.” Poor man. I don’t know how many times he had to ride that ride. Every time my son saw him he tagged him to ride it again. The big exclaimation at the end of the day to me was, "And Mom! Father doesn't even need tickets to ride the ride! He gets to ride for free!"

On the last night I finally said to Father, “The deal is that Son#3 does not see you as a priest. He doesn’t understand your job and what you do for the people of the parish. He sees you as a grandfatherly figure that can do things, unlike his grandfather here in town.” He thought that was funny.

And to the people who are giving the lovely and funny SarahK of Mountaineer Musings a load of garbage because of what she said about going to Mass with FrankJ and wondering if she could shake the priests hand (funny stuff), I say, “Get a damn sense of humor”. That was great stuff. As I was reading it I kept picturing the priest melting into a pool of water and yelling, “I’m meeeelllltinggg!!!” Heh. People who are not Catholic don’t understand all the rituals and what you can and cannot do. (I’m not Catholic, I’m married to one, and I still don’t get all the rules.) So her wondering if she needed to do the Holy Water thing before shaking the priest's hand was absolutely undestandable and... classic. I can't wait to meet her at our blogmeet!

2 Comments:

Blogger Harvey said...

I can certainly understand SarahK's hesitance to get too close to a priest.

I seem to recall that if a priest bites you, you become one :-)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Seriously, I have never thought of it-of course kids would think priests wear the same clothes everyday. It seems obvious, now that I think about it.

Wow.

The practicality and imagination that children have is amazing. Your son is very, very cool.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home