Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Calvin's Dad Award

I am starting an award. It is the ‘Calvin’s Dad Award’. I will give this award sometimes, when I see a need. Who is eligible? Someone who gives their kid bogus information or plays with their kid's mind. Remember the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes? Calvin would ask some serious question about gravity or why the sky is blue, and his Dad would come up with some horribly ridiculous answer, getting Calvin to believe it. Yeah, well, I am getting to know Dads like that. I would say, on a day to day basis, Contagion probably gets the award. Today I give it to Jim at Snooze Button Dreams.

It is not that he gave out bogus info, the whole thing was just so damn funny and gross that he just seems to deserve it. Now if you don’t think THIS isn’t going to come back and bite him in the arse, you are so very very wrong. I have decided it is going to bite him when Bear is in 1st grade. That is when my kids started learning about punctuation. I picture something like this:

Teacher: OK, now at the end of the sentence, we put this little dot. It is called a period.

Bear: Oh! I know that!

Teacher: You do?

Bear: Yeah yeah yeah! My Dad told me about them! They flow like a river!

Heh. The real story will be if his teacher bothers to tell Jim and Lovely wife, or if she chooses to keep the incident to herself… or keep as one of those stories she tells other teachers. “Well, I had this little boy once who said the following when we were studying punctuation…” I’m laughing just thinking about it.

It’s gonna happen. Mark.My.Words.

4 Comments:

Blogger Harvey said...

You're going to have to build an entire factory to keep up with Graumagus :-)

11:32 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

What a great idea! Wish a friend of mine had a blog... her 3 year old asked what happened to her pe-nis. Her husband answered with "it fell off and was flushed down the toilet". It came back to get them when he was 5. The whole story is too funny. Jim's is great. I read it yesterday and loved it. Perfect for the award.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

I'm honored for the mention. However I never fabricate stories to tell my children. I just reject their reality and substitute it with my own.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over here, we refer to menstruation as a period, but that little dot at the end of a sentence is known as a "full stop". The seemingly strange references to menstruation on American blogs confused me initially :-)

Oh, and we don't have the word, "period" used to measure sessions in school either. Probably because it would be way too much for our giggly, repressed young men to cope with!

I guess it explains the use of the word after an emphatic statement, too. I always wondered about that when watching American T.V.

Great award, Bou! Definately one to watch.

Sally

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home