Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Music Meme Answered

I got tagged for a Music Meme by TWO bloggers. One was from Dash at The Boiling Point, who I am adding tonight to my blogroll and the other was Blog sister Tammi from Road Warrior Survival. It took me awhile because as I told Dash, I don’t remember words or titles or artists. I remember themes… I remember how they make me feel inside. So I might remember one lyric about Trashy Women, remembering that the song cracks me up, but I won’t remember anything else. Not any real specifics except “Ain’t She Cool?!!!” and the horror of the parents when the kid shows up with the cocktail waitress in the Dolly Parton wig for prom.

There was a discussion about classical music over at Eric’s of Straight White Guy and I was saying in his comments that what I liked about classical is nobody was interpreting. There are not artist’s words; nobody is telling you what the song is about. It is open to everyone’s individual interpretation, and I can only guess that it is my love of instrumental music from classical to bagpipe, and how I just listen and feel, that makes me the way I am towards music.

That said I had to do some serious thinking and research to do this Meme. I had to look up words and titles and artists and some links. So… this is my single post for the night.

And as I told Dash, I am not a Hip Hop Mama! Sorry to disappoint. Take my list from below, throw in some Simon and Garfunkel, mixed with the Police, a bit of Opera, Bagpipes, and a bunch of classical… and you have me.

Random Ten Albums: I just went through my CD collection in my car and came up with these (Links where I have them are to Amazon where if you go to the bottom you can click on any song for a sample):

Maroon 5, Songs about Jane. Given to me by my bro from Xmas. I love this CD. I like the first song… “Is there anyone out there cause it’s getting harder and harder to breathe”. I run to this CD a lot.

The Cars, Complete Greatest Hits. I love this CD with the windows down on a beautiful day.

Across the Celtic Moors

They Might Be Giants, I can’t figure out what CD I have. I think it must be Greatest Hits or something because it has EVERYTHING from Birdhouse to Your Soul to Ana Ng. Like The Cars, this is just fun happy music. It always puts me in a good mood. My kids LOVE to sing to this stuff.

Wallflowers, Bringing Down the Horse. I just like it.

Enya, A Day Without Rain. I like a lot of Celtic type music.

Sinead O’Connor, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got. The beginning of my angry chick music collection. I still run to her sometimes.

Alanis Morrisette, Under Rug Swept. I run to this one. I listen to this when I’m in an odd funk, which is more frequent than I like to readily admit.

Soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Are Thou. It’s bluegrass. Good stuff. Down to the River to Pray is my favorite.

BoDeans, Outside Looking In. Gift from my first serious boyfriend. Almost married him. Wonder where he is. Classic case of “Thank God for Unanswered Prayers”, but I have very good memories.

1. What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
For me personally? None. My husband has a ton since he has an Ipod.

2. The last CD you bought is: Blink 182, Take Off Your Jacket and Pants
.
3. What is the song you last listened to before this message? The first time I received it from Dash, I was listening to the Soundtrack to “The Waking of Ned Devine”, a frickin’ hysterical movie with a great soundtrack.

4. Five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you. First, I made this six songs. Too bad, it's my blog. I’m picking 6 songs that when I hear them, I remember something. And because this is my blog, I’m going to tell you where they take me... in my memories.

American Pie by Don McLean. Heh, wonder if The Great Omnipotent One remembers this one. When I was a little kid and my Mom had to run into the store, TGOO used to sit with us kids in the car and tell us stories or jokes or sing. He used to sing us this song. Sometimes with his own words.

Caught Up In You by .38 Special. High school. Summer between my Junior and Senior year. The Beach. First 'longer' term boyfriend, as in dated for more than a month without wanting to kill each other. Tim the Preacher's son. Sweet boy. Too sweet. The kind of boy that Dad's are GLAD their daughter's are dating! Good memories though. I could still pick out his cologne.

Delta Dawn sung by Helen Reddy. Well, I know, those who know me are thinking, “no kidding”. Seriously, though, it takes me back to my senior year in college when a bunch of drunk extroverted Naval Aviators I hung out with, serenaded me in a steak house. I was dating one of them and I think it was me, one girlfriend, and all these guys. Kind of embarrassing. Kind of funny. If I were to walk in that steak house right now, I could tell you exactly what table we were sitting at and which seat was mine. Completely burned in my memory.

Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. College. Junior and Senior year. Same group of guys. We listened to a lot of Buffet and James Taylor. For some reason, we all LOVED that song, and we’d sing along in the bar when it would come on. Very good and happy time in my life.

It Had to be You, written in 1924 by Gus Kahn and Isham Jones. Performed by Benny Goodman and his Orchestra, Frank Sinatra, and Harry Connick Jr., I like them all. This is ‘our’ song. My husband and I. We always dance to it. It was also my grandmother and grandfather’s song. I love big band music and music from this era.

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. It’s on my wedding video and I would say it is our other song… our modern music song. It’s still one of my favorites.

5. Who are you gonna pass this stick to (five persons and why)?
I’m stopping it here as I’ve seen it done and it is a lot of work. HOWEVER, that said, if blogdaughter VW wants to have a whack at it… the ball is in HER court. *wink*

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Well done, and I KNOW you had to work at that!

Brown Eyed Girl....oh my one of my FAVs. Sittin' on the lania, a few cocktails, singin' this at the top of our lungs. His greatest hits CD is in my car at ALL times.

I've got some GREAT Celtic music Koolaid and Margi sent me - I'll share when you're up next weekend.

Delta Dawn....another great one.

And the big bands....oh....

ok - I'm gushing. Dang I love music!!

Thanks for doing this!!

11:34 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Howdy Bou, I'll try to do this. But it will take a couple of days. I'm trying to get pictures out of my trip. Of course, Image Shack has decided to give me errors. GRIN... Honestly, I'll give it a shot as soon as I can.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Sounds like you and I buy our CDs at the same store :)

Either that or you raided my stash ;)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Dash said...

Wow! Good stuff. Sorry to put you through so much pain. I really like a lot of the same artists. I had forgotten about some of those. Glad to hear you don't listen to Emenem and Ludacris. Ha. FYI - Jerry Jeff Walker has a remake of "Trashy Women".

12:30 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

We took a road trip last weekend & I dug through CDs that were in the car. Many of my own compilation. I forgot how much I love Aretha's "Pink Cadillac". Is there a happier song anywhere?

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home