Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Penguins and Understanding the 'Joke'

You know you might be a blogger when… normal conversation with your family takes place and you think of other people’s blog posts. For instance…

My 2nd son received Zoo Tycoon 2 for Christmas. The ONLY thing he wanted, I had my sister give it to him, making her the person of the year. In case you do not know, this is a simulation game; you make a zoo, run it, feed the animals etc.

Conversation at the Christmas dinner table went something like this:

Son#2: Hey Mom! Guess what? I have 5 tigers and a pregnant penguin!
Me: saying nothing, but could not get past my thoughts on THIS post, by one of my favorite bloggers.

WHENEVER I hear penguins now, I think of him. Well, that and squirrel sex. And Robert Service. I’m sure he cannot be thrilled, but the human brain is a weird thing. Associations. *grin*

So back to this Zoo Tycoon. After the thoughts of houses being run over by penguins leave my brain I finally say, “So, you got a pregnant penguin, do you know what you need for that to happen?”

I am of course baiting him. I love conversations like this. The adults at the table are saying nothing and Son#2 says, “Yup, you need lots of water, lots of food, and lots of space.” Hmm.

I look at Son#1, who is now IN ON IT, he loves the fact he’s kind of in on the adult stuff and he rolls his eyes and grins. Who woulda thunk it. Just 4 months ago, that whole conversation would have been lost on him. Of course, he probably thinks that penguins do it like donkeys… but really, that’s irrelevant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

YES! It must have happened at our family dinner last night at least 3 times. Something would be said and someone would say "Hey, did you read X's blog? They mentioned that!" Now, since I have directed my family's blog reading, we read pretty much all the same stuff, so much hilarity ensues from the blog world.

BTW, how DO penguins do it?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... heh.. worse than an earworm, eh?...

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home