Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, December 20, 2004

All I Want for Christmas Is...

A non-digital old fashioned 35 mm camera that I can point and shoot... and I want to be able to zoom in. Period.

I realized after our anniversary that I was not going to get away with getting nothing, that we were going to exchange gifts whether the budget allowed for it or not this year. (We have a roof and screened in porch to repair and numerous trees to replace and trust me... landscaping ain't cheap.) So this is what I want. And I told him. In plain English. The man can't read my mind, so if I don't tell him, I have nobody to blame but me.

But I've been here... A year and a half ago he asked me, "What do you want for Mother's Day?" and I replied, "Let's do our traditional 'get sub sandwiches or chicken' and go to the beach and have an early evening picnic with the boys. I don't want anything. The cards they make me are enough." Push he did, saying over and over he wanted to get me something so finally I said, "My camera is 10 years old. I've dropped it and it's got issues, so I'd love another 35 mm point and shoot."

Easy enough, yes? I've told him repeatedly how I never wanted to own a digital camera. And I explained why. I LIKE FILM. I LIKE PICTURES. I LIKE taking film in hand and stopping by my favorite Mom and Pop camera shop and putting it in Jeff's hands and saying, "4x5, doubles please, I'll come by in 2 days." I love picking up the package and going through the pictures, laughing and remembering. I love labeling the picture envelopes and putting them in their special box for the year. I have a box for every year and in chronological order, I store every picture taken. I love going through the boxes looking for something and stumbling across pictures of babies in a bathtub or children dressed in raincoats in hopes they'll be protected from a wasp that flew in the house. I love the smell of photographs and I love holding a year's worth in my hands.

In essence, I am not a digital girl in a digital world. I am an old fashioned girl trying to keep things status quo, and until now, I have been losing this battle.

Mother's Day arrived and there was a small rectangular box. I was so excited! I couldn't wait! I open it up... and to my utter disappointment, it was a digital camera. I didn't bother to fake it. I fake nothing. I looked at him and said, "It's digital. I wanted a regular 35 mm point and shoot, 'hand the film to Jeff', camera." He said, "I know. But THIS is better. Trust me."

Hmm. Better to whom? My husband does a lot of photography in his work. He has only digital cameras... top of the line for what he needs and he loves them. For some reason because HE loves them, they must be great.

For 6 months I did not touch that camera. I refused. Yeah, I was a bitch. Bite me. I made a point of taking out my chipped up and dropped 35 mm point and shoot 'hand the film to Jeff' camera, everywhere we went. He took my new camera.

Finally over time, being tired of feeling like the old person who cannot adjust to modern times and the bad guy (trust me, he was getting his digs in), I said I would try it. So for over a year, I've been carrying that camera around using it, hardly touching my old 35 mm point and shoot, 'hand the film to Jeff', camera.

I was getting, "This is so much easier. See, you just download it into the computer, and if you want it you print it. You can burn it to a disk and still hand it to Jeff. He'll still make you pictures."

Now am I the only one here seeing EXTRA work? Because NOW, in my spare FRICKIN' time, I have to sort through the pictures, put them in folders, burn them onto a disk, then hand them to Jeff and he can make pictures for me. Or I can use my husband's new color photo printer that he is so in love with and wait HOURS for it to print all my pictures and let me tell you, that ain't no bargain either. Printer cartridges are expensive and so is the damn paper.

Guess what I did before the Hurricanes? Went through and backed up all my photos because if I didn't and I lost my computer, I would have lost a years worth of family pictures.

No.Thank.You.

So for one year I have done this. 30 days makes a habit, right? I figure give it 12 months. Birthday parties, holidays, field trips, and class plays, I have carried this thing with me and let me tell you my final answer: I F'in hate it. HATE IT. The ONLY redeeming quality it has for it is blogging... I can snap a picture and post it. And how often do I do that? Not often.

I want a new 35 mm point and shoot, 'hand the film to Jeff' camera, that I can just blindly drop off film, pick it up, laugh in my car at the pictures and sort through nothing. Bah.

Let's see what happens. I'm a working woman now. If I don't get one, I'm buying it for myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anathematized1 said...

I can sympathize. I am not a huge picture person, but I LOVE my 35 mm camera. I bought it right before I went to Europe. It even has a ding on it from when I smacked it against a rock while trying to climb from a boat (on whatever river it is) that runs through Stockholm *sighs happily*.

The ONLY reason I got a digital camera is for selling things on Ebay. How much have I sold since I got it? 1 thing...Thank goodness I got a good bargain, otherwise I'd be peeved. I bought it for myself for Christmas last year and have filled the memory card 1.5 times.

I still love my 35 mm camera. Not sure if it's nostalgia or what, but it's so much more tactile and so REAL.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

I HATE digital cameras. I have one, that was given to me, that I only use for pictures of things I want to post on the internet or e-mail to people. I have never, not once, printed out a picture from it. Why? Because I can look at a picture taken that is from a digital camera and can tell it's from a digital camera. It doesn't look right, it's kinda dull and blurry. I know some people will say that is the paper or technique they use to print it. But I've seen this on every picture taken on a digital camera, no matter who prints it... including professionally printed pictures. My father swears by the damn things, I can't stand them.

Then again I don't like point and clicks either. I have a cannon 2000xl sereies, manual everything. Manual wind, rewind, focus, forward, etc. I love that thing. It takes the absolute best pictures. Of course I'm the only one that knows how to use it. It's big, it's bulkey... with the telephoto lens I have for it, I can get your dental records from half a mile away... or when I was in college, check out what's going on in the girls dorm... but that's another story. Give me film any day!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best thing about film cameras is, you know it's going to last. The prints aren't going to fade away and the negatives aren't going to disappear when your hard drive dies.

But film cameras are quickly going the way of the horse and buggy. Even professionals, like the folks at my newspaper, are abandoning it.

To me, the best thing about digital cameras is you DON'T have to give the film to 'Jeff." You don't buy film and you don't pay for developing. We ran an article recently that said film developers are in financial trouble because folks are shooting lots of digital photos, but never printing them, either at home or a store. That's a lot of money saved. (How often do you wade through your old photo albums anyway?)
And film or digital, I prefer point and shoot too. I need a camera I can use while the other hand's holding the horse reins, or the guard rail, or whatever.
-- George

9:13 AM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Give me 35mm and film any day. The only reason I have the digital is because it came with my computer. If I want to send pictures in e-mail, it takes nothing to scan a photograph and attach it.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LW here. I still love film, and for various types of serious shooting it is still the best. The ultra-high-end digital is as good as a 35, but nothing yet touches a 2.25, 4x5, 5x7, or 8x10 formats. Besides, I like to do my own developing and printing on fun/good stuff, particularly art B&W. FWIIW, Nikon still makes a pretty good point and shoot 35 that is reasonably priced. Good luck getting one this year!

2:53 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Bou, I know your husband. Please go to the appropriate web site and print out EXACTLY what you want and hand it to him. GRIN. Just joking.

I can't wait to ask what you got for Christmas though. Bet it's jewelry or chocolate. snicker snicker

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home