Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Lord of the Flies

When our friends came for Saturday, I bought a ton of fresh fruit. (Side note for y’all that live in the great white north, as I was cutting our watermelon and assorted fruit, I was wearing a tank top, overall shorts and no shoes… oh it was beautiful outside! *evil grin*) Evidently, the cantaloupe or berries harbored fruit flies. It nearly ruined our evening.

My husband is very much a clean clean person. Bugs are a bad bad thing. So these fruit flies, suddenly there were hundreds and I do think most of them came from outside as 7 children kept leaving a slider open, where as they were a huge nuisance to me, they were literally making my better half absolutely insane.

When the adults sat down in the dining room, my husband had opened a bottle of a cabernet sauvignon. The flies would NOT leave the wine alone. We finally put all the wine in the kitchen and when dinner was over, about 30 flies had killed themselves through drowning in wine. We were down to about 2-3 flies, which seemed manageable, or so we thought…

The other place they like to hang out is at my vanity in my bathroom. Mine is not dirty. Mine just has perfume bottles, make up remover, a can of hairspray, and make up stacked along the sink. For some reason, this is a good thing for fruit flies and I cannot get rid of them once they find their way there. I resorted to putting a glass of red wine at my sink last night and killed 15 of them through our new ritual of drowning by way of wine. That still left about 5.

My husband gets up at 6 AM every morning, showers and shaves and I sleep in until about 6:30 whereby I get up and start the lunches and our routine. This morning, however, I was awakened at 6:15 by the sound of a towel snapping. That maniac was standing in our bathroom bound and determined to kill the rest of those fruit flies that had previously not become a slave to the grape. He was a man on a mission. If it happens again tomorrow I’m going to give him my standard reply when he gets WAY TOO FOCUSED on something… “You know… they have drugs for that now.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Feisty said...

OMG! I have that anal gene!

That's too funny. Suggestion: Two glasses of red wine, one for him, one for the flies...

;-D

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm suprised he hasn't thought to use your hairspray to stiffen their little wings and scoop 'em up off the floor after they drop. {{grin}}

~Cin in SoCal.
(via the Tammi portal)

2:25 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

I think I'm married to your husband. That's not possible, is it? Except, my husband would have killed every darn fruit fly even if it meant spraying the entire house with DEET and poisoning us in the process.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Well, tell him to be glad you don't bring them home from work. We have a couple of labs in a building that I occasionally work in that use fruit flies for genetic studies. You can imagine how they get around. Everyone I know has some kind of story that includes the line, "and then I saw the yellow eyes, and I knew..." (eye color is a good external marker for different mutant flies)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

That's classic! I laughed out loud picturing the glass of red wine in your bathroom. Can picture hubby coming in, going mmm can I have a sip of your wine.. .No, that is for the flies stupid!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home