Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

November 16, 1991

Thirteen years ago today… is when my life was finally set on its permanent course that I would no longer roam the Earth alone. I would no longer feel that it was me against the world. I would no longer see me as a single entity, but I would see me as a half of a partnership. Thirteen years ago, I married my husband.

We met 17 years ago in at a bar, believe it or not, funnier still because neither of us drink. I worked at the same company as his brother and his brother’s department was having a Happy Hour at a local bar. A girlfriend of mine worked in the same department as my now brother in law, and invited me to go with her. The minute I met my husband, I knew he was the one.

Amazingly good looking, dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, the most amazing lips… bedroom eyes… he looks like Andy Garcia with a hint of George Clooney. When I first met him he looked to me like the young Al Pacino from the Godfather I. He is 5’6” with shoes, broad shoulders, long fingers and strong hands, 30” waist… when he works out he has the toned body that is cut… the type of body men dream of having with the small waist and broad shoulders. When he doesn’t work out, you can’t tell. He always looks like he stepped out of some fashion magazine. Model perfect. Old women flirt with him shamelessly and if the young women don’t proposition him still, it is only because he can be incredibly cold and aloof…distancing himself from women he feels are dangerous. He is married and he is married to me.

When I met him at the bar, I walked up and sat across from him. I only talked to him although there was much joking and laughter around me. I was dating someone at the time; someone I had been seeing for 2 years and we were talking marriage. Something just never quite felt 100% with the other guy, even though I was madly in love with him. But… when I met my husband, even though I didn’t really know him, I could tell he was a good man, he was smart and respectful and I could tell… that.he.was.the.one. and that everything was right and nothing was wrong.

I called my Mom that night and said, “I met the man whose children I’m going to bear” and she said, “But you’re practically engaged to Kevin” and I replied, “I know. I made a mistake. This is the one.”

Of course my eventual husband didn’t know that. I tried to get him to go out with me, but he was seeing someone. But over the course of the year, I would be somewhere and he would too, by pure coincidence. It was weird. So I would hang out with him and his brother and slowly he got to know me. There were times where I think you could say I kind of chased him down like a dog. Then one day in March, 16 years ago, he asked me out. After the first week of dating, we were inseparable, never living together, but having dinner together every night and spending every waking moment together on weekends. We never broke up, it just felt right immediately. We were married 2 1/2 years later.

And it’s been 13 years. I’ve forgotten our anniversary once. I’ve scheduled our dinner on the WRONG day. Last year on our anniversary someone asked me how many years we were married and I got the wrong number. Actually, it went something like this:

Person: “So, how many years have you been married?”
Me: “13 years.”
Husband: “13? I thought it was only 12.”
Me: “No. 13.”
Husband: “We got married in ’91. It is now 2003. My math says 12 years.”
Me: “Oh. You’re right.”
Me looking at person who asked the original question: “12 years. We’ve been married 12 years.”

So this year I got it right. 13 years. He is my soul mate. There are days we surely look at each other and think, “What was I thinking?!!!” There have been days where barely a civil word can be said. But there are days I call him at work just because I need to hear HIS voice. There are days when I cannot wait for him to come through that door… that I can’t wait to see him, hear him, smell him. More days than not, I cannot keep my hands off of him and when he travels, I have to sleep with his pillow near me so I can still smell him when I sleep.

If something were to happen to him… I would be forever lost for he is my compass. He is what keeps me grounded. He is what makes me realize I am not alone. He makes me complete.

Happy Anniversary, Love.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Your Big Guy sounds like a good man, congratulations for being so smart, but I do believe he's the lucky one.

BeeBee

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember it well. It was the day of the FSU-Miami game. Really poor planning for two people who live in Florida. If you ever do this again, do it in the spring or summer so it doesn't interfere with an important game.
TGOO

9:35 AM  
Blogger Feisty said...

How WONDERFUL Bou!

Congratulations to you and your very lucky man!

;-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

What a beautiful post. Congratulations!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Wow, that was better than any chick flick on Lifetime.

CONGRATS!!!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Pammy said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I don't think that anyone who hasn't had that 'I just KNOW he/she's the one' moment can understand. But, I do.
Congratulations.

11:58 AM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

In the midst of mush, a sane voice rings out: nice one, TGOO!!!:)

Seriously, Bou, Happy Anniversary to you two!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

What a wonderful, romantic love story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

and more importantly,

Happy Anniversary!!

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A devastating loss on the gridiron, but a victory for you.

(Damn...I still can't shake that game.)

Toluca Nole

2:42 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Happy Anniversary Bou, and all the best for many more years to come.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, you beat me to it. Although, I was the one who had to wear green and walk down the isle with the Miami grad. The tension was high but he was quite the gentleman not to rub the wide right in to bad.

Congrats Bou...it was a great party and a beautiful day!

Morrigan

3:38 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know, I know, but the game was OVER by the time we got married. You didn't have to carry through on your threat and hang out in the bar instead of the reception. I know, good Southern daughters plan their weddings around football season. It just seemed like such good timing... with 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving and all... I didn't have to take so much vacation time from work.

And Morrigan, he was quite the Gentleman as I know had FSU won that frickin' game you would have been Tomahawk chopping that whole damn night as you threatened to do it walking down the aisle with him if FSU won. Maybe that's why FSU LOST!!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful story.

I just love seeing when someone gets how great marriage can be.

Here's to many more!!!

8:28 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

All I remember was you telling me about this Hot Italian Guy you met. And how much you wanted to date him. Geeze, I didn't realize it was soooo LONG ago. ;-) Do you even remember living in the townhouse? You are making me feel OLD. But best of all... you are married to the right man. Enjoy!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Now THAT is a love note :-)

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is a love story. Congratulations! May the light continue to shine on you both, and may the years ahead continue to bring health, happiness, and joy to you all.

LW

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was precious. congratulations!

sarahk

9:32 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Happy Anniversary! I admit it; you made me cry! It's always wonderful to hear about true love - the kind that is instantly recognizable and never truly lost.
I wish you an eternity of the bliss you feel every time you look into your soul mate's eyes.... :)

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Bou! Your post was beautiful!

Angela

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home