Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Genetic Traits are Appearing

While sitting and waiting for the funeral to start yesterday, I was looking at all the women. It occurred to me I have inherited my Mom’s genetic trait of not graying. My Mom is 63 (sorry Mom) and has a smattering of gray… she actually highlights her hair to make it a softer color so the stark dark brown of her hair does not clash with the soft milky white skin of her face.

I know, it’s a weird thing to think of during a funeral, but no matter where I am, I’m always looking for patterns and trends and as I was overlooking the congregation I noticed a lot of blonde women. So then I started looking closer and they were all fake blondes and the one’s that weren’t, you could just tell there was a rinse. I do the rinse thing occasionally when I’m looking for a change. A complete horror to my husband who is always wondering who he is going to come home to: death kitten black or eggplant purple.

I turn 40 in 11 months and I have the same 8 gray hair I had when I was 21. I think that means I’m not going to gray. Actually, graying doesn’t bother me. It’s BALDING that bothers me. I don’t want to be a bald old lady. I’d rather gray than lose my hair. There’s not a man alive who I have ever heard utter the words, “Ohhh, I just LOVE bald headed women.’ On the other hand, there are a ton of us women, who don’t think twice about bald men. Hell, Yul Brynner was on my top 5 free pass list. And if I had a top 7, Ed Harris would have been on there (Johnny Dep was going to be #6). Man, Ed is yummy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually bald women is one of those "fetishy" things that some guys are into.. so it wouldn't be *completely* hopless :P

As I recall it's clean shaven bald though, not that yukky "patchy" stuff the some women get when they get older...

-S

11:46 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

If I didn't like you so much, I'd hate you.

I have had a patch of gray (birthmark) forever. My hair is naturally flat black and not good with my complexion at all. I've been coloring since I was 16.

Damn, this is turning into a post idea. Thanks!

7:23 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Me too. I have had some grey hair since I was in my 20s. If I am lucky enough to gray like my mom... I'll be happy. She still has a lot of black in her hair and she is in her late 60's. (almost 70).

And when I worked outside the home, I changed my hair every 9 months or so. Either color or cut. 2 years now with the same hair... eeeeeeeeeeeeee.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Bou - - We are so much alike, it's uncanny! I'm 38. 2 grey hairs. That's it :). My younger sister has enough grey to color it. I just got lucky somehow . . .but I think I have some years to go before coloring become an issue. The only sad thing is that my hair color is the one thing I really like about my physical self so when it goes, I'll be pretty bummed out.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

I will not look smart or authoritative if I go bald. I will look like a mangy dog. Blech.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home