Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, September 24, 2004

The Mood

I'm tired. I need to go to bed. Why am I up? I'm waiting for the frickin' 11:00 hurricane update. No kidding.

Tammi is on her way to the West Coast. As in FL. Not CA, although CA is looking pretty damn good right now even though they're full of fruitcakes in that state.

I'm staying put again. We have 3/4 of the shutters up and will do the remainder in the morning. If I get a chance, I'll post a picture of a house with shutters... the tin can effect. We'll be helping neighbors get theirs on too. Then my husband will run to his Dad's house and put the last shutter on his. It appears his Dad may be staying with my bro in law in Lauderdale. It really isn't right that he stay with us as we have to contend with 3 kids during this storm. My bro in law and his wife have ONE kid and no storm. He may be hanging down there.

I got the last 3 quarts of skim milk yesterday from Publix. I was waiting in line for gas when some Mom I don't know stopped at my car, then rolled down her window to inform me that Publix was totally out of milk. I thought it was really really nice. I guess the dead giveaway I'm a Mom, no kids were in the vehicle, was that I was in a mini van.

There is no gas in Palm Beach County to be found right now. I got gas at 10:30 AM and only had to wait 30 minutes. It was very orderly and I was impressed with how the gas station handled the line. They had employees directing people in and out so there was no cutting.

If you're not down here in S. Fl, I don't know how to describe the mood. We're all walking around like zombies. Whereas the typical greeting in Fl, like everywhere else, before Frances was "Hey! How ya doin'?", after Frances it became a tentative, "So, do you have power?" and is now, "Can you believe it? I'm not ready for this. Can you believe this?"

We're just numb. I'm not anxious. I'm not freaking. I'm just dead inside. Horrified. Appalled. I don't know. Stunned. Incredulous. Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne.

And who do you wish this upon? I wish it upon nobody. I'm not sitting here wishing it would go North. I'm not fervently praying it goes West. We've all taken enough of a beating and some worse than others. The Carolinas and GA have had horrible flooding. Alabama has had vast destruction from Ivan. Florida... well we all know. And some cities are worse than others and I am very very afraid for the people of Ft. Pierce, Port St. Lucie, and Vero. Very afraid. I cannot wish this upon anyone, so I just sit here grinding my teeth knowing, if it comes this way, it is what it is. No prayers from me that it goes elsewhere.

We got the shutters down and up in 1.5 hours today. We're getting good at it. It's just not a skill I felt I needed to perfect.

I can tell my eldest is not quite right. Even his teacher noticed it and said something to me. He is being very quiet. He is stressed. Possibly depressed.

I'm a little nervous for the kids. Their new school is at this phenomenal Church that has opened their religious ed classrooms to us... the catch is the Church is located on a barrier island and that would just really suck if we lost the new school too.

Our kids have fallen so far behind academically this year. At least my kids don't have to take the FCAT. The governor has already stated there are no exemptions of public school kids from the FCAT. Port Saint Lucie schools are still closed. How much more stress can the kids take?

I'm not sure how this ramble is coming across. Disjointed? Apathetic? I don't know. As I said, it is difficult to describe how we are feeling. I just want to crawl in my bed and go to sleep. I think about that a lot. Sleeping. I want to sleep and I want someone to awaken me when it's over.

And I wish they would hurry up and post the updates. It is after 11:00 now. My pillow beckons.

Update: The 11:00 is up and we are just so fucked. I'm going to bed.


9 Comments:

Blogger pamibe said...

I am so stupid. Or maybe it's all the people who are buying up all the gas!
I have to go pick Arthur up from the airport at 1:00am - and I couldn't find any gas earlier... The only station without bags on the pumps had a line a mile long, so I didn't wait... so I'm hoping what gas I've got holds me....

Talking about the kids... and I hope they bounce back from this okay...

My grandson was acting not quite right; this was after Frances and before Ivan turned away... His mom was worried about his school work, but I asked if she'd sat the kids down and talked to them about the hurricane. You know; explained it all and reassured them... No. She hadn't. She herself was freaking out! Soooo... I'm really hoping she found some time to do that!
Can you imagine? He was a 5 year old watching Bryan Norcross to try and glean some information about the storm... Poor little man. [shakes head]

Ohno. I've gone from rambling at my place to rambling at yours. Kick me out now, before I spread and infect other blogs. ;)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

I'm still awake. I keep staring at all the maps and computer models looking for some hope.

We talked all about the hurricane and his teacher has been talking to them about it in science. He's 9, so he's at a good level of rationalization and comprehension. I think it's this displacement. They have no playground or ballfields, so they play in the parking lot. Once a day some kid eats the pavement. They like their classrooms, but they are used to being on the 1st floor and now have to walk 4 flights of stairs... no biggie, but still and adjustment. And they don't have a cafeteria and have to eat in their classrooms. No more pizza day. No more ice cream day. That sounds trivial too, but to children, small things to us are big things to them.

It's just an adjustment.

You aren't rambling in my comments! Feel free to write an essay! I'll read it!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bou, my prayers are with you and all of Florida. take care of yourself.

sarahk

10:58 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Can I just say I'd much rather we be having dinner tonite than doin this shit!!!

I'm right with you on the numb part. I'm thinkin' I got maybe 2 hours sleep last night. Lucky for me I still had a lot of stuff put up from Frances. (I know, it sounds bad, but I've been so damn busy I haven't had the time!) I forget what a truly carefree weekend is.

What happened to those glorious days on the beach just frolicking and relaxing? The days on the boad, wind sun water? Damn......

The good news with Jeanne (well, if ya wanna call it that) is the fact that it kinda came out of the blue. No long long wait, and she's moving faster than her sister Frances. However, the bad news with Jeanne is the fact that it came out of the blue. Not a lot of time to prepare. Most people were scrambling yesterday and some even had to work. I did - and I'm supposed to work today.

Damn

5:07 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Ok, I want to just dig a hole... oh wait that won't work it'll fill up with water. Sigh. This is driving me nuts. It's 7am, I have been up taking care of sick child since 4am. Somehow you don't get a lot done that way. Time to try try again. Here's to the storm that doesn't do what it is predicted to do... Gulp Gulp Gulp... ahhh...ok ok so it was hot tea and not that bottle of wine... but I am certainly eyeing that wine pretty closely.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Jovianne said...

All of you are in my prayers.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

"Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne"

It's like the roll call in the Mickey Mouse Club Of The Damned :-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Now THATS funny Harvey!!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I don't drink and the rum in my bar is starting to look really good.

Some guy posted a sign that read:
1 Charley
2 Frances
3 Ivan
4 Sale

I think a lot of people will be going North. :)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home