Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

If the Sound of Silence is Deafening Then What is…

...the sound of a nine year old learning to play a trumpet considered? YEEEIIIIAAA!

We had our band meeting last night which is where all parents and students met with the band instructor to have the students try out instruments and choose what they wanted to play this year. Band is open to 4th-8th grade only. We had been discussing this all summer as I am making it mandatory for all my children to take an instrument. I play a couple, The Great Omnipotent One just keeps picking new instruments to learn (he’s going to be his own one man band shortly), and I made some of my best relationships in band.

I was happy when he picked the trumpet for a couple reasons; one being I was hoping there would be many boys for him to meet. No boys. They’re all girls, which irritates him now, but I think in a few years he won’t mind. The big reason I was excited he picked trumpet was the versatility of the instrument. He can play marching band, drum and bugle corps, symphonic, and jazz. There is just so much he can do with it.

We get there and no new boys show up. They’re all girls. I looked around at the parents and every kid there is one of the top students in their classes. Their parents are very involved and every teacher who has a kid in that school, has their child playing an instrument. I guess the boys are too busy playing sports. No offense, I love sports, but I can’t believe that NOT ONE parent of a boy, other than me, sees the significances of their child learning an instrument.

So this will be interesting. Right now, it is loud. I picked up his instrument today (we’re renting) and he immediately started working on it. At least I know the correct way to blow in one, so I showed him what I knew, showed him the fingering chart in the book, and let him move on. By himself, he’s got a scale down. I just hope he stays enthusiastic. Opening this door for him, this door into the world of music, I hope will one day bring him great pleasure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Oh that's great news. Music will add a real joy to his life. It is my one great joy in life. He'll learn teamwork, and reading music helps in other classes also. Marching Band and Jazz band were two of my favorites (although after 1 year I moved to the jazz singer position and enjoyed that more).

What a wonderful gift you've given him, with your encouragement and support. He's a very lucky boy.

BTW - did you hang on to any of your earplugs? They are always a good idea! ;)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Pretty much what Machelle said. I played 2 years of violin & 4 years of cello. Although I couldn't play either anymore, I learned a lot about music theory and reading music, which helped immensely in understanding ALL encounters with music since then.

Music is so much nicer when you understand what's going on :-)

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home