Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Riveting Speakers I Saw On Vacation

I was in DC for our annual National DAR meeting.  I actually wasn’t going to blog on this meeting at all, but the speakers we had were so amazing, I had to.  We appear to have a reputation of being a rather blue blood, prudish sort.  It makes me laugh.  Perhaps the older women are prudish, but overall, there is nothing really blue blood about the organization any more if it was so originally.  We come from all walks of life, secretaries, nurses, teachers, homemakers, doctors, you name it…we’re an economic cross section. There are only three things we have in common:  we’re all women, we’re all extraordinarily patriotic, and we all had someone who participated in the Revolutionary War.  That’s where all commonality ends.
 
We have an amazing hall in downtown DC.  It’s on “D” Street, right next to the Red Cross building and down the street from the White House.  It’s one of those old Washington buildings with the big steps and enormous columns.  Inside is an auditorium that sits over 2000.  We pack it in on opening night.  We gave out myriad awards and had some awesome speakers, our main speakers on opening night being Lt. General Thomas McInerney, USAF (Ret) and Maj. General Paul Vallely, USA (Ret.), the authors of a book entitled, “ENDGAME:  The Blueprint for Victory in the War on Terror”.  I believe they are frequently seen on FOX News.  They were fascinating.  They scared the bejesus out of me.  Everything I’ve written, they confirmed and much much more.  They even said the French government was a hopeless cause as they’ve been overrun by the Muslims.  They talked about how much trade Russia, Germany and France had with Iraq before the war.  They spoke on the potential of having an in house nuclear attack on five major cities.  They made mention of the five (5) nations we had the most to worry about.  It was mind boggling as I believe what they said… my small mind has written about it on my small blog.  They talked for over 30 minutes and it was riveting.  They had a book signing, which I forwent since I have an aversion to long lines, but I definitely think their book will be worth the read.  They said it’s easily laid out in laymen’s terms, a two day read.  I will be stopping by B&N to get a copy this week. 
 
**Update-  Harv asked me in the comments if I could find a transcript from their speech.  I have looked and have come to the conclusion that what we received was probably a canned speech of their review of the book, compiled with things they probably say on TV, sprinkled with items written for us about Patriotism.  However, I did find the following link that gives an excerpt from their book by the National Review Online.  Try THIS and see if it helps.  -D.
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Harvey said...

Any chance you could Google up the full text of these speeches & post links?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

Believe it or not, I think they may have been tailored for us. Lots of references to what we stand for and have stood for in the past. I think their key speech was probably a canned speech they give to talk about their book. I'll gander around and see. Very interesting men. Scared the crap out of me.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home