Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Random Thoughts and Lowlights

Calvin and Hobbes was the best cartoon ever. There has never been one to match up. Sure I have others I like, for instance Foxtrot, but I loved Calvin and Hobbes. It’s a real treat seeing my eldest sit for hours and reading the C&H books at my parent’s house. He laughs as hard as I did and still do.

If the kids want me to read them a story, I always have to fight the urge to say, “how about Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie?” and when in the cereal aisle and they ask for something particularly offensive, I have been known to say, “That’s as bad as Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. No!” And then there is the transmorgrifier. That was classic.

I remember one day I think I was trying to remember what it was called when the host and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ. (Catholics believe this, Protestants don’t.) It is called transubstantiation, but for some reason I was e-mailing The Great Omnipotent One, who is NOT Catholic, and he was trying to convince me it was called Transmogrifying. I was laughing my fool head off picturing the Pope saying, “And just throw this wafer and wine into this box and Voila!”

Am I going to hell for that? Heh.

Speaking of cartoons, Doonesbury has been pushing web url's to sites of conservatives that think Kerry is a better choice or cannot stand Bush. I don't know why I find it so damn annoying, but I do. I know it's a liberal comic strip, which is why I normally don't look at it anymore, but seriously, do we have people out there that are REALLY going to get their voting information from a frickin' comic strip? Be afraid, my friends... be very afraid.

Yesterday I was taking the kids swimming. Son#3 already has this thing about having to wear underwear under his swim shorts, although he really has nothing he needs to 'keep together'. We don’t own a pool. This is a pool where there are a lot of people coming and going. I pick up their clothes and notice his pair of underwear with his shorts. I asked him if he was wearing underwear, I was confused at which point… he weenied me. As in, right then in there, he pulled down the front of his trunks and showed me his bits and pieces. Lovely.

Later we were in Publix at the checkout line and Son#1 gives Son#3 a wedgie, unbeknownst to me. I look over and Son#3 has his shorts dropped down to the floor, pulling his underwear out of his backside… this is in the supermarket. I was dying.

I consider those lowlights, but I believe the witnesses would consider them highlights. I'm sure it was all very funny to the onlookers.

9 Comments:

Blogger Harvey said...

Well... *I'm* smiling :-)

And Doonesbury... was that comic EVER funny? I don't remember it being, but I'm old & my memory's fading. I could be wrong.

12:56 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Love Calvin and Hobbes. One of my favorites, even before kids was when Calvin asked where he came from and his dad said he was a Kmart Blue Light Special. ;-)

Oh my... boys are going to be a handful.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

It just seemed very odd, Jack. You've got an entire newspaper and someone may actually get their information from a comic strip? Now maybe if Doonesbury were in my political section of my newspaper, like the editorials, it would not seem so off base, but it's not. It's been in the entertainment 'cartoon' section or right below Ann Landers. It just smacks of a weird place to make a political statement.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

See, Jack, I just found the whole the really odd. You have an entire newspaper, and I KNOW someone out there is going to make their decision based on his 3 or 4 panels they read a week. It's not as if he's a centrist either. He's definitely liberal. I have a feeling there are people out there that don't realize that, where as most weblogs that are political, actually state which way they swing, if they swing one definitive way.

And it wouldn't be so odd if his 'cartoon' appeared in my Editorial section or some other political spot, but it has appeared in the past with the general comics or where it is now... which is on the same page as Ann Landers and the other tripe. It's a classic case of 'One of these things just doens't belong here'... so it sticks out even more so.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calvin and Hobbes was a great strip.

Nothing will ever match Bloom County though! :)

-S

7:05 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I'm laughing my a$$ off over Son #3. He is a character. Yeah - I love when they still have that innocence. :-)

I'll agree with you on Calvin and Hobbes. Great cartoon. One of those rare things where I've never heard of anyone who didn't enjoy them.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with you on Calvin and Hobbes! As for Dustbunnies, many newspapers have shown some honesty and integrity by moving it to the editorial page. Think I may know a girlfriend for Son #3, a very cute and petite 2-year-old who was walking through the games this weekend with her Mom. She decided to get more comfortable while Mom was distracted, and dropped her drawers so she could dance and moon all the better. Wish I could have gotten a picture of Mom's face when she realized why all the people were laughing...

Laughing Wolf

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Calvin and Hobbes, too.

About ten years ago, when I owned a working mini-farm, I bought a pregnant goat for milking (my first goat). 24 hours after I got her home, she gave birth to the cutest little kids you ever saw (1 male, 1 female - goats almost always have twins).

Since I had been in the house laughing my ass off at one of the C & H books when I heard the laboring mother saying, "MAAAAAAAAHHHH! MMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" when I rushed out to see her deliver them, I named the kids, of course, Calvin and Hobbes.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with you on Calvin and Hobbes! As for Dustbunnies, many newspapers have shown some honesty and integrity by moving it to the editorial page. Think I may know a girlfriend for Son #3, a very cute and petite 2-year-old who was walking through the games this weekend with her Mom. She decided to get more comfortable while Mom was distracted, and dropped her drawers so she could dance and moon all the better. Wish I could have gotten a picture of Mom's face when she realized why all the people were laughing...

Laughing Wolf

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home