Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Ouch?

I saw THIS in our paper the other day and I know y’all did to. I just have to ask… how in the hell do you shoot a nail through the roof of your mouth and not feel it?

How is that possible?

I get a pizza burn and it hurts not only immediately, but for days. So how is it someone can drive a nail into their skull and.not.know.

If you have a clue… feel free to explain ‘cause quite frankly, I’m at a total loss…

4 Comments:

Blogger Anathematized1 said...

Maybe he was high?

Or perhaps, because of the pure physics of the beast (speed, pressure, and the fact he was thinking about what he was gonna have for lunch) he got distracted and just didn't realize it. He could also have had one of those crappy nail guns and it sort of sent a jarring sensation through his entire body.

Or maybe he was high?

Seriously though, it might be something like "brainfreeze". You know when you freeze your soft palate it winds up transferring the pain to your forehead? I believe the term is "referred pain"??? But I could be wrong. Also there is a HUGE difference between surface pain and internal pain. The internal organs tend to have less nerve endings than say, the skin. The brain has no nociceptors at all. (Hmmmm, example being: when you have a headache it's not your BRAIN that hurts, but the surrounding meninges)

My main concern is, the way MY tongue lies in my mouth, I think I would notice a nail or other foreign object lodged in there. And I don't know about anyone else, but if I have dental pain and my tongue can reach it, I fiddle. Sooooo, I DEFINATELY would have noticed it then.

Anyway, now that I feel like a dork, I'm going to bed *pouts and runs away*

8:55 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

If it had been a blunt stick instead of a sharp nail, he would have notices. And if it had been put there slowly instead of fast, he probably would have notices. To give you a personal example. When I had my ears pierced, it HURT. But they use a blunt tool. I had my belly pierced and they used a VERY SHARP tool and I did not feel a thing.

Still hard to believe he did not know.

11:41 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

First, why did you read this and second, eewwwwwwwwwww. I have no clue how he could not feel it... my only thought would be it is COLD in Breckenridge right now and his mouth/face was cold/frozen. Still, this is just not right.

1:38 PM  
Blogger KTreva said...

Perhaps the nail poked a spot in the brain that put just enough pressure that it inhibited all pain receptors to his mouth/sinus area.... I'm reaching...I know...

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home